Clutch drum set screw

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Clutch drum set screw
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 05:06 pm:

When I disassembled my 1926 engine/transmission, I found the clutch drum set screw loose. It's cotter pin was not keeping the set screw from turning. The set screw was about a 1/2 turn or so loose. Now, I'm reassembling the engine and transmission and have gotten to the point where this cotter pin is to be installed. I've looked at some pictures in the FORD green book as to how the cotter should be installed, but I don't see it. How should this cotter pin be installed to prevent the set screw from moving, thanks Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 05:17 pm:

Look at around 14:50 in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tLpCghRMMw&list=PLYG_lIhIwKyLG8WQm4tGmKK1nA0Yct p6G&index=22

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 05:23 pm:

Say that is quite a video. I think I may have to take a few days off from working on the engine and watch these. Looks good! Thanks Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 05:32 pm:

Mark, shouldn't the cotter pin be put in and bent the other way? I don't see how that would keep the bolt from loosening up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 05:40 pm:

Not my video, ask Mike Bender. :-)

You're right, it does look that way to me in the video - probably an oversight made in the heat of video production. The idea though, is as Mike says, put the key in and tap it down so that it prevents the locking bolt from loosening.

(Message edited by cudaman on May 28, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 06:33 pm:

Yes the cotter pin should go the other directions. My bad. Need to fix that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 01:50 pm:

Use the longest cotter pin possible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 03:36 pm:

I used a 1/8x1 inch cotter pin. Works good, Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 06:27 pm:

I use the longest split pin I have and bend just one leg at right angles. As insurance, use some loktite on the set screw.

Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration