25 steering lower flange/bearing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 25 steering lower flange/bearing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 05:47 pm:

I am installing the lower flange/bearing on the steering shaft and need advice.
Does it go between the frame flanges or under the lower frame flange?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 05:58 pm:

Between the rails, along with its wood support block, per figures 33 and 34 of the service manual.

Don't have a service manual? Every T owner should have one, along with some other key manuals: :-)

http://www.dauntlessgeezer.com/DG80.html

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 05:59 pm:

That steering box goes between the frame rails and has a wooden block it bolts through. There should be a good picture in shop manual.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 06:07 pm:

Thanks Mark and Jack,
I am getting old and completely forgot about the manual.
I have McCalley's CD which has an even better copy of the manual.
Very high resolution.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 06:21 pm:

I think you will find that it goes under the frame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 07:43 pm:

The steering box bottom lip or angle goes under the frame I thought. The single top hole of the steering box wont line up exactly with the frame hole on the side of the frame if its installed inside the frame. Or so I thought.
The picture that was posted shows the steering box lip going under the frame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 01:48 pm:

A bit to add, the long center bolt, and the two short ones are the same bolts used for the crankcase arms, and yes, the bottom of the steering bracket goes under the frame. Get the book!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 03:44 am:

Thanks Jim John and Larry.
Its installed with the flange under the frame.
Now its on to installing the new wiring looms.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration