Muncie 3 speed info.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Muncie 3 speed info.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Lightfoot on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 09:57 pm:

I am looking for information on how to shift a 3 speed Muncie with reverse on a TT. It seems to grind alot while trying to shift. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks Jim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 12:06 am:

James, I used to run a Muncie many years ago. There are no synchros so you can prevent grinding by double clutching. Most important is to match the engine speed to what is needed for the gear you are selecting at the speed you are traveling. It sounds daunting but it quickly becomes automatic.

Back in the twenties the radio shows always used grinding gear sounds for all cars, even flivers. With that Muncie you can sound authentic... not like the rest of us with stock T's... we can't make that cool sound.

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 07:14 am:

The Muncie in my TT grinds when I shift it the first time after starting the engine and it's still cold. Once I get going it seems to loosen up and the grinding mostly stops.

Terry has the right idea. Match engine speed to the gear and speed you're traveling. Also, I almost never attempt to use all the gear combinations. We're in the California Central Valley, so it's pretty flat here, no hills. Typically, when not loaded, I'll start out in Low/2, then High/2, then High/3. You'll need to experiment a little to find the best combination for driving conditions where you are.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Lightfoot on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 11:49 am:

Thank You Terry and Henry. I am still a little confused being new to a Muncie. When I start the truck it is in neutral (Muncie in neutral)then when I shift it into 1st it starts moving forward without me pushing on the low peddle? I guess I am expecting it to not to move until I press the peddle down. I am in Colorado, Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 12:23 pm:

Typical of Model T Ford engine/transmission the high gear clutch drags. Sometimes a little and sometimes a lot depending mostly on adjustment. If you push on the brake pedal the T transmission output shaft to the Muncie will be stopped and you can put the Muncie in gear without clashing. The vehicle will not move until you take your foot off the pedal ( it may then start to creep) and press on the low band.
Hope this helps

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 12:33 pm:

Layden is correct about using the brake pedal unless you have auxiliary brakes. Some of them use a special pedal that is absent the transmission brake cam, rendering the transmission brake of no use.

I have Bennett brakes on the TT. Since they are set up as I described above, I've found that if I use the reverse pedal to stop the transmission shaft it cuts down on the grind a lot.

A little "clutch creep", particularly when cold, is not unusual. That's what makes the true neutral provided by the Muncie so great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Lightfoot on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 01:01 pm:

Thank you again to all, Laydens thoughts are of great help. and Henry your info will help. Jim in Colorado.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black SC/FL on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 10:52 pm:

James,
If you have no aux brakes, you will have no brakes at all if you get the Muncie caught between gears. You need to first adjust for a free neutral, then decide what Muncie gear you need to be in before you leave home and just use the Ford low and high until you are in a safe area where you can stop using only the parking brake if you get caught between gears. It takes practice to shift on the fly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Lightfoot on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 09:24 am:

Thanks Mike, sounds like it could be Mister Toads Wild Ride. Jim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration