Question on smooth tires

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Question on smooth tires
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 09:54 am:

My experience with the smooth all white tires is not good. I see there are smooth black tires for sale. I wonder if the tread life is any better on these than the whites.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 10:17 am:

I run smooth grey tires on my barn fresh 1912 touring. To date I have logged some 1000 miles with no real signs of wear. I also ran smooth greys on my 1905 Cadillac. I had those on for some 10 years with lots of touring and again no real signs of wear.

The greys will show a darker band where they come in contact with the road but the side walls still were bright and easily cleaned with soap and water.

I have smooth black's on my 1928 sprint car and what very limited driving so far the tires look like new and are still ;ole new.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 11:10 am:

Thanks thats good info

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 11:23 am:

The black tires have carbon in them, it makes the rubber tougher and slows down wear. Still, you won't get as much mileage from smooth tires as you can expect with treaded tires, white or black notwithstanding.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration