OT. Memorial Day flag

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT. Memorial Day flag
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 06:42 pm:

We have a full sized flag pole in our front yard
It has an American Flag, Gladstone flag, followed by a POW flag.
The staff also has a yellow rIbbon for a close friend that is currently serving in Iraq.

I heard that the flag should be at half mast on Memorial Day until noon and then raised to full staff.

Is this correct?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Manlove on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 06:51 pm:

That is correct. Sunrise to noon is half staff

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 09:03 pm:

This is what I found about Memorial Day and the flag.

In traditional observance, the flag of the United States is raised briskly to the top of the staff and then solemnly lowered to the half-staff position, where it remains only until noon.
It is then raised to full-staff for the remainder of the day.
The half-staff position remembers the more than one million men and women who gave their lives in service of their country.
At noon, their memory is raised by the living, who resolve not to let their sacrifice be in vain, but to rise up in their stead and continue the fight for liberty and justice for all.

This puts light on why the flag is at half staff and why we raise it.
I will do each of these with pride for the reasons stated.

I wonder how many people know about this or even care.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 09:10 pm:

Fred, been doing this for over 30 years! There are other days of the year we're supposed to fly half staff, Sept. 11 being one of 'em.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 10:27 pm:

as I understand flag protocol,

* The United States flag should be alone on its hoist (rope). Other flags on the same pole are to have their own rope(s) and never share the US flag rope.

* When the United States flag is at half mast, any other flags are to be taken down until the flag is at full mast again.

* No other flag is to be higher than the United States flag.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration