Restoration Milestone - First Drive 1911 Model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Restoration Milestone - First Drive 1911 Model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan Woolf on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 08:38 pm:

Yesterday marked a big milestone in the restoration of my brother Jimís 1911 Model T. After 5 years of work he got to drive the car for the first time. Break-in and additional sorting of the car will be required but it ran well yesterday. The car has received a comprehensive nut and bolt restoration with the goal to have a very nice car that will be used for touring. With the exception of paint, powder coating, and some specialized machine work all of the restoration work has been done by me, Jim, our brother Dan, and our father Ray. A couple of brief videos are located on You Tube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo4S0dRSUy4

Jim purchased the car from the Ford Dealership in Dublin, GA in 2011. Per the build and shipping records the car was delivered new to Dublin in August 1911. We still donít know the full history of the car but it was in Ford dealership for many years. For more background on the car follow this link to a previous post on the MTFCA forum: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/204111.html

Many photos of the car before and during restoration are posted at this link: http://tinyurl.com/jcdabdl

Alan

Car as found

Jim, Dan, and Dad

1911 T

1911 T

1911 T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 08:55 pm:

Awesome car and what a great story. You hardly here of those type of stories here In Georgia. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 09:27 pm:

Looks nice! What's up with the white / black front tires?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Woolf on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 11:07 pm:

Royce,

Those are temporary tires / wheels we've used to move it around the basement. The new tires are mounted on the new wheels, but we haven't gotten them mounted on the car yet.

Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 05:28 am:

Fantastic Job, I love that it was a whole family project and you tackled it all yourself! I really like your photo documentation, great historical info there!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 07:39 am:

Great job, Dan, but personally I would have left the original patina - they're only original once.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan Woolf on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 09:06 am:

Bill,
Our first inclination was to try and preserve the car as found but it had way too many problems to even consider preservation for anything other than a static display. We do have preserved cars that we drive and enjoy regularly so we not opposed to the idea of preservation. In the case of this particular 1911 it was it leave it parked (not an option) or fix it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 10:43 am:

Thanks Alan. I remember when you purchased the car, and it's good to see the progress you have made. Keep posting!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 11:38 am:

Looks great. Admired it back in the mid sixties when I lived in Macon, GA. Enjoy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 08:26 pm:

In that case, great decision Alan! The car is absolutely beautiful and is see the point. It's just that 1911 is my favorite year and I've always wanted to find one in pretty much original condition with leather seats intact so seeing the "before" picture struck a nerve! But I totally understand; my first restoration project was a barn find 1916 Touring in worse shape than your brother's, and I knew there was absolutely no way to preserve it in that condition so I went with a frame off restoration as well.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration