OT- Ford Model N FS Hemmings

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT- Ford Model N FS Hemmings
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Skingley ......Westland, Michigan on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 06:45 am:

Another early Ford .........FYI

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/ford/model-n/1838856.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 07:46 am:

Sweet. Wish it wasn't so far away, and wish I could afford it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Skingley ......Westland, Michigan on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 08:00 am:

Ditto that, I would trade my T for a good NRS project.........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 08:04 am:

And while your looking a 1904 ford model AC & another N are available I think in another auction.. http://blog.hemmings.com/?p=225451

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 08:45 am:

John,

It is impossible for any of us to remember all the different auctions of so many nice cars. But note the Hemmings blog you referenced is dated two years ago if I am reading it correctly. And it references the estate auction of Ralph W.E. Cox that took place in May 2014. In that auction the 1904 Model A/C Ford went for 88kand 1907 Model N Ford went for 43k. See Bonhams web site at : http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/22174/ or the posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/440633.html

And thank you for pointing it out. I would much rather have it pointed out again than to not have it pointed out and miss it.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 09:07 am:

Hap, I thought those cars looked familiar, and remember drooling over them then. Also feeling depressed a bit for being to poor to afford one!! But, I'm happy with what I have. Sure would like that AC or even an '03 A (who wouldn't?) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 09:54 am:

Tim,

One of the great things about our Old Ford hobby is in some ways it is similar to a marathon race. I can run or even walk in the Boston marathon or other similar race along with the fastest runners in the world. And yes, I would be in the last group to start and if I tried it today – I probably wouldn’t even finish (there is a reason they train before they go run). And if I trailered Blackie to a Model T meet – without tires, carb, upholstery, or back seat -- folks would encourage me on. (Who is Blackie – please see my profile or the thread at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/10844.html -- Blackie has kept me out of a lot of trouble for many years.) If we showed up they would offer me help and encouragement to get it going etc. And for that matter folks are welcomed and encouraged who don’t even own one piece of a Model T Ford. If they are interested in learning more about the cars they are welcome. And when it came time to start the tour, someone would offer them a ride in their Model T. Actually a few years ago – one of the members of the South Carolina club would sometimes offer his extra T for folks to drive on the tour if their T was not running or if they had elected not to trailer it due to the distance to the meeting etc. And while there are many folks with cars worth much more than mine, they freely welcome us to ask questions and some of them even offer rides etc. For most of us our hobby is more about preserving the old cars and the friendships than any sort of ego trip. And that is why I like this hobby and this group so much.

Thankfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 11:54 am:

Back to the Model N: I would really like to post the photos form the other site here, so they will be available in the future. But I still have not figured out if that falls under the “fair use” act or not for material that is copyrighted. So I will play it safe and not post any complete photos. If anyone know for sure – please let us know.

It looks like a fun 1907 Model N Ford that has been modified with a mother-in-law body that was not part of the normal Ford production (slim chance it was a one-off prototype – but that is highly unlikely). Ford did not offer that style body on the Model N but did offer a mother-in-law body that was sold as the 1908 Model S Roadster. The front seat section might be an original or good reproduction of the original that is fitted to a different bottom section – from the photos I cannot tell.

Why do I say Model N rather than R, S, or SR? Because it has the N step plates and fenders. And the body is NOT a Ford body. Technically it could also be an R, or S chassis that was retrofitted to look like an Model N Runabout chassis. But the step plates along with the R & S running board bracket holes filled with the rivets indicates the frame was a Model N Frame from 1907 to 1908 ish.

Good news – an accurate reproduction body should be able to be purchased or constructed for a reasonable price. They were all wood construction (some metal braces) so no metal to form over a wooden frame. And it doesn’t have the more difficult to construct touring back section. Factory drawings are available for the 1907-08 Model N Runabout body from the Benson Ford Archives. And of course it would be fun like it is. There is a possibility it has a body that was supplied by an after market supplier. That would be great if it were the case. But I suspect it was restored and enjoyed before going into the 40 years of storage. And that when it was restored they had the chassis but not much of the body. That is common for the wood bodied cars. The chassis can survive much longer than the wooden body as the elements and especially the termites don’t bother the steel as much. Rob’s 1906 #3 is an excellent example of a very early Model N Runabout that was fitted with an accessory mother-in-law seat early in its life. There are photos of his car from in 1920s showing it had already been converted. And he elected to restore it as it had been modified. And if the car in the Jun auction has solid wood rather than plywood, slotted screws, square nuts etc. it might also be an early conversion. But if it is constructed of modern plywood – then probably not. If some history of the car could be found that might also help document the origins of the body.

The visible running gear items appears to be N,R, S, or SR (basically all the same except for wheel size). Front axle, rear axle housings, wheels, wheel hubs, etc.

Unknowns: I may have missed it, but I did not see where the auction flyer said if the engine ran, if the engine turned over, if the engine is where they got the chassis number, is the engine an N,R,S, SR, is the transmission original, condition of the transmission, does the car drive, etc.

“IF” the engine, transmission, rear axle, etc. are in as good shape mechanically as the exterior of the car is cosmetically – it should be a good early Ford that could be used “as is” or restored to any level the next owner desires.

Does anyone recognize the radiator? It is generally the correct shape. But I do not recall seeing one before that did not have one of several different versions of “Ford” embossed on the top tank. And this one appears to have possibly had a badge of some sort mounted to it?

Note “IF” the chassis number which was listed as 2475 was taken from the engine number and “IF” the engine is original to the chassis then it would indicate the car was most likely assembled and shipped in Jan 1907. That is based on Trent’s Database. Which is based on the remaining Accounts Receivable Ledgers. But only approximately 22% of the ledgers have survived so only about 22% or so of the serial numbers are listed in the remaining ledgers. That explains why Model N Runabout serial number 2475 is not listed. But Model N Runabout 2492 shipped Jan 24, 1907 and #2494 shipped Jan 20, 1907. Note there were always some outliers as #2436 is listed as shipping Jun 18, 1907 – that may be a type-o or perhaps that engine was a the back of the stack and others kept being placed in front of it?

I could look up some additional details but unless someone wants that information, I think I will be much better off working on my wife’s “honey-do list” than having fun looking up information on the N.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 09:51 am:

I'm laughing at myself about my post. I went to the first link and saw other auctions and came up with this link. I need to get some new glasses because I never saw past auctions in the link but it was there dated and everything. Please forgive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 04:26 pm:

Those buggy steps do not look authentic. The way the arms split into a "Y" near the frame is not correct. They're just repurposed buggy steps. Looks very much like 30 x 3 wheels as well, which are not correct for an N.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 06:43 am:

Jerry,

Good catch. I wish there were more photos and higher resolution. It appears it is located in the original step plate location. But I cannot see many details about it.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration