Spark Plug Whistle Variant Mounting

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Spark Plug Whistle Variant Mounting
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 04:36 pm:

Hello all, I still 'lurk' around the forums to see what is happening :-)

I was intrigued by Steve Jelf's recent post (and warning about deep sand!)

In it Steve added the below pictures showing an intriguing mount for a spark plug whistle. Does anyone have any other information they can add on this set up?

As I see it, the tubing is attached to the inlet manifold - is that correct or is it tapped into the exhaust in a way that I can't see?

How does it work - would be more of a wail and less of a 'peep' or just more high speed 'peeps' (as it would have four 'compressions' not one).

Any information would be appreciated, as old 'Albert' (my TT) may need an extra add on. I have the whistle and got fed up with it coming loose, so this may be a way to re-use it :-)

Cheers all

Adrian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 05:02 pm:

That's a wolf whistle, not a spark plug explosion whistle. That is why it is connected to the intake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 05:07 pm:

Adrian:
That is an old time "wolf whistle", operated off engine vacuum.Makes a very loud shriek when activated. Regards, Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 05:35 pm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNN3rx7Li40

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 06:09 pm:

Adrian! Great to see you here! I miss your regular posting, and Albert.
Looks like others beat me to answering your question (at least to the extent I could). Yes it is a wolf whistle, works on the intake vacuum.
Be careful around the tractors and saws!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Stahl on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 09:56 pm:

can I see a pic of how the magneto is mounted

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 10:13 pm:

Adrian, My it's been a while! I have always enjoyed your posts here and had wondered where you had gotten off to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JD, Wichita, KS on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 01:02 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 02:06 am:

Hi guys, thanks for your messages :-),
Life goes on with my eldest two married off in the last year and just lots of other things too (new house, moving).

Well, it looks a lot like the "spark plug" whistle I have, but that must be just in outward looks. Thanks for putting me straight on that.

The current project is assisting in the work on a "1915 colonial roadster". Well, it is a local New Zealand made period "colonial roadster" body, but mechanicals and guards are a mix of new beauty and 1924 engine/tans, I think the buyer got a bit suckered on the date, but it was a good buy anyway(even considering what needs doing to it).

Oh boy. It is a 1960's restoration and has been in a shed ever since ....... (read, new paint sprayed on old parts). My friend was asked to bring it up to "warrant of fitness" standard (a mechanical compliance test all cars in NZ must pass) so that it could be put back on the road.

It is a real "tar baby", meaning the more we touch, the more we find. It was a real death trap when we got it, for instance a "close fit" UNC nut was screwed on one rear axle - I just pulled it right off with my fingers. Inside the drum only half of the shoes were there and the activating arms where off a McCormick reaper I think!
Anyway, I am sure enjoying learning from my friend who is in his 80's and put more T's together in NZ than probably anyone else.

Another friend is nearing completion on his '09 2 lever (that is a great machine) and I have been pretty lucky to get my hands a little dirty assisting (just a bit) on the engine and transmission build - that is a "once in a life time". I see why Henry dropped the water pump!

Albert is going well, just had to tickle up the starter motor as the armature had earthed out (grit between the poles), and needed a good clean, otherwise he is 'hale and hearty' (Albert is in my profile picture).

Thanks again for your greetings and suggestions :-)

Cheers all,

Adrian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 09:46 am:

I was wondering why it was using the spark control lever until I saw the after-market magneto then I assumed the spark control lever needed something to do :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration