Body sills (wood)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Body sills (wood)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Watt on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 05:37 pm:

I have a 1915 Tourer that I am restoring.
One of the body sills / rails (the wood that runs the length of the body on which all else is built) was rotten but the previous owner had bodged a repair. I have removed the bodge and want to rebuild as it was originally. The attached sketch shows the the main components as I understand them but I don't know if there is more wood hidden from view. Are there local pieces of wood or even a continuous piece?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 05:59 pm:

Does this help?

http://fordwood.com/images/tour15new.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 07:14 pm:

Yes, there are spacer blocks between the two horizontal pieces, usually go against the upright posts too. As the area is hidden, you can add extra blocks if you want even more strength--but be careful, the whole thing still has to flex as the frame & body moves around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 11:25 am:

This shows the spacer in my '14. '15 should be much the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Watt - Bedfordshire UK on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 04:14 pm:

Lovely photograph. It explains everything I need to know.
Thanks
Colin

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration