Direction sought in mounting hood former to virgin wood dash.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Direction sought in mounting hood former to virgin wood dash.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 06:19 pm:

Ah, ha.... I knew that virgin thing would get you interested.
Got reproduction hood former for my 1915 hood and reproduction wood dash as well as brass mounting brackets and carriage bolt bracket mouunting set.
Used the manual to figure out the brackets face towards the passenger compartment and the carriage bolts come in from the radiator side of the wood dash.
A lot of holes drilled in the dash for the coils, support rod, wires, mounting brackets, etc., but no holes drilled for the hood former.

Two issues I need a push in . .
1. If I lay the hood former on the dash in the approximate "balanced" or even position around the hogshead opening cutout, it appears to lay directly on top of the carriage bolt heads for the mounting brackets. But the carriage bolts do not fit the holes in the hood former and don't align with the holes, so I don't think the former uses the same three holes and bolts as the mounting brackets.

And what would be the best way to lay out the former? Mount the dash and radiator and hood shelves and hood and the try to tack the former in place and make sure hood is level . I'm not picturing out how to do this exactly. Since the engine is out, perhaps I could have someone small get under the hood and trace the outline once correct fit to the radiator and shelves is insured?

Thanks in advance. Couldn't find this one in the manual.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 06:33 pm:

Robert, You have me slightly confused. Not hard to do these days. 1915 hood formers cover the whole firewall in one piece, and so will fit only one way.
I gather you have a flat wooden firewall and an earlier hood former which screws to the flat firewall.

If the latter is the case, I would suggest that you fit the radiator and the firewall first. Then sit the hood on the radiator and adjust the position of the former to get the best fit for the hood. The former may well be off-centre in this procedure, but it is not really noticeable. At least then the hood will fit.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 06:44 pm:

AFDU,
You are correct in your presumption of the flat wood dash/firewall that I have and the 5 sided hood former that bolts or screws onto the flat wood.
I was going to mount the radiator, hood shelves and dash with support rod and level everything up, lay thood in place and lay my former in place and somehow mark it's postion.
I think there is enough "lip" on the former to measure or trace it from the outside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 07:09 pm:

Robert,
The 1915 hood former, AFAIK, is not being reproduced; you must have a '14 former. The '16-'16 hood former covers the outside and edge of the wood firewall--most reproduction firewalls are not correctly 'edged' to fit the former; there is a slope to the edge to match the metal former. This may not be my own picture, but it shows the correct '15-'16 hood former

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 09:02 am:

Yes, we are all on the same page. I can try to line up the former once I get shelves and radiator and dash mounted. I'm still concerned that the large carriage head bolts that secure the brass brackets from the frame to the wood dash are right in line with where this fromer will mount and the former riding over the carriage bolt heads will prevent me from getting a tight fit to the wood dash.
This package was marked as the dash bracket mounting hardware, but the square nuts that came with it barely thread on a turn or two and then I tighten them and they still seem to barely thread on. And they are chrome while the brackets are brass and it looks kinda odd. And the lock washer that came with them won't even go on. So I'm checking now that I've got the right hardware kit for mounting the brass bracket to the wood dash.
But even if it is incorrect, the holes are not to change in their location on the wood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 09:38 am:

Robert

Two photos might help you. This is '09-'10 style reproduction hood former, and dash to frame brackets are cast steel reproduction too.

The brackets are mounted to the wood firewall (dash) with carriage head bolts on the wood side, and nuts on the outside on the bracket face.

Then the hood former is mounted with small round head wood screws to the dash, concealing the brackets.

While not fully authentic Ford mounting methods, gives you some insight on fitting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 10:00 am:

This is the one piece former/cover and shows the bolts coming from inside.

I don't know if it is right or not...but was that way from at least '62 on when the first owner parted with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 11:47 am:

Dan, your photos solved the puzzle.
I had the brackets mounted on the engine side of the wood and couldn't see it. My wife looked at the manual and the poor images she saw led us to belived that the brackets went on the hand brake side of the wood, but I couldn't see that working either.

So now back to the brackets on the engine side, the round carriage bolt heads smooth on the passenger side of the wood and the square nuts aligned in such a way that the hood former slips over the nuts and brackets on the engine side of the wood and the former gets screwed or step bolted in place.

I'm getting ther And, your photos will help when it comes time to mount fenders, hood shelves and radiator. I had my fenders clamped too far towards the rear and covering one of the dash bracket holes. It's like a jugsaw puzzle where one piece has to fit and then all the others start to make sense.

Thanks for the visual aid.

TO THE DRIVEWAY!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration