A Three Ring Circus...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: A Three Ring Circus...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 06:44 pm:

I searched the forum and consulted the manual but did not find a clear answer.

I'm putting new rings (Hastings) onto a set cast iron pistons. When pulling the new rings out of the box I failed to observe which rings came out slots 1 & 2. I know which rings go on the bottom of the piston but I'm confused concerning the top two rings. One set of rings has the bevel and dot on the same side and the other set has the bevel and dot opposite of each other.

Which is the top ring and which is the second ring? Thanks...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 07:29 pm:

Since your asking the question there must not have been an explanation sheet in the ring box or wrappings.

I'm thinking that the set of rings I used in my 21 Touring had a explanation sheet with it. I do remember referring to it a few times.

You might find some information on the Hastings website.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 07:43 pm:

The Hastings ring literature states to follow the numbered slots in the box but I took the rings out before reading that. There's no clear info on their website either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 07:49 pm:

Call whoever you ordered them from and ask them to open one of their boxes and tell you which rings are which. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Hallett on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 08:10 pm:

Try this Tim.

https://www.hastingsmfg.com/ServiceTips/compression_ring_installation.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gitts - Ferndale, WA on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 08:28 pm:

Tim,

Reading Hasting's ring website:

Top ring: has the dot and bevel on same side, which is the top (install facing up towards top of piston

Second ring: has the dot on the top (install w/dot towards top of piston) and bevel will be down, towards bottom of piston.

Oil Rings: self explanitory.

I found this at: https://www.hastingspistonrings.com/tech-tips-faqs/which-is-the-top-ring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 08:39 pm:

Thanks much Les! I looked all over their site but could not find this info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 09:17 pm:

Stagger the openings so that the compression and oil will not go right through. Don't put the openings right over the wrist pin either.
Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration