Thread Chaser

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Thread Chaser
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 08:30 pm:

I'm trying to find the correct size thread chaser to use on the water inlet on my carbide generator. The tank is NOS and the brass cap is really difficult to get started and I don't want to cross thread it. I would like to clean the threads with a thread chaser but not sure what size to use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 09:42 pm:

Bill

For finding thread form and size, invest in some thread gages, you'll want USS thread, coarse and fine, they look like this:

Then purchase the matching thread file to chase the threads back to form. They look like this:

If you don't buy the tools you need, you will eventually pay for it, but not have your tool. Henry Ford

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 09:49 pm:

With a tap you stand a really good chance of tearing out the threads. Using a thread gage and a file is your best approach. Have you looked at the first thread very carefully, both male and female, sometimes it's rolled over and straightening it out is what's needed .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 11:41 pm:

Is there a chance he's looking at straight pipe threads?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration