1910 Engines & Vehicle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1910 Engines & Vehicle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 01:06 am:

Can I draw on your vast experience please....

My engine # is 33435 made late 1910. It is listed as being a "Special RH Control Engine Only" with the customer being Motor City, Walkerville. This all fits in well with the vehicle remains being found in country Australia. The documents from the Benson Ford refer to the model as "E" which they can not explain. Another close number (50 engines later)33485 is also shown as Model E as well as being a blue Roadster, grey stripes, Firestone tyres, Pontiac body and shipped to Des Moines. Obviously a complete car.
Questions:-
Would these two engines / vehicle have been made at Piquette Ave or Highland Park?
The Sheets refer to it as the "Dearborn Plant"
Any idea what the "E" represents as shown as the model # and car 33435 / 33485
Would there be anyway of obtaining records for 33435 that was shipped to Canada? Once the engine left Detroit I have nothing but a blank until found in 1963 in Australia.
Would the Canadian built car then have been shipped to Australia in a knock down state or as an assembled car?
Would it have gone via the shipping agent in New York? Thank you in advance
Alan Long. Western Australia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Martin, Sydney Australia on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 01:24 am:

Export?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 01:29 am:

Peter, yes that was Detroit's suggestion too but "E" was also on the vehicle 33485 built for the Des Moines Dealer??????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 03:24 am:

I had heard once that the model E meant engine only. However, the 33485 record indicates that it was NOT an engine only (if I understand all you said above?). It certainly could not have been very well an engine only being a roadster (Pontiac/Beudette body no less) with tires and presumably wheels?
I know that engine onlys were sold for a variety of reasons including being sent to Walkerville for Canadian assembly. Canada was not producing the engine castings yet for Canadian production.
Perhaps 33485 was a clerical error. All those records were hand written notes and I would be sure a lot of errors occurred.

Trent B or Hap T could probably best answer the question of whether your engine could have been built at the Piquette plant or not. Engine production did stay behind for a short time while changes were made and processes set up at the Highland Park plant. However, I seem to recall they were mostly out of there by late 1910.

So, how much of the rest of the car do you have? Will we be able to see this as a car again soon?
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 05:00 am:

Hello Wayne.
Hap has contacted me directly and all of this information will be sent to him with photos of the vehicle which has been finished for a couple of years now. I will ask Hap to post the photos and his reply so all can benefit from his work. The covering letter from Benson Ford researchers said they can't explain the "E" and looking at the documents again it's the car that went to DeMoins (33485) that has the "E" . My engine 33435 has this box left blank but does have a order number listed in the adjacent box. Alan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 07:07 am:

Sounds like it was ordered as a replacement engine.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration