Does 1924 VIN identify original color?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Does 1924 VIN identify original color?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 01:40 pm:

I just bought a 1924 touring model T and am hesitant to change the color if it is identified in the Vin number. My goal is to paint it white and use it as a "horseless carriage" wedding car for my limousine service. We won't be taking anyone to the airport, but I'm hoping create a market for photos and romantic rides.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 01:50 pm:

If the car is a 1924 Model T, it was black when new.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 01:52 pm:

The VIN is only the engine number, it does not contain any other codes for things like paint color.

I'm afraid that 1924 was near the peak of the "any color as long as it's black" era. It would have come from the factory as all black, but of course a few owners back in the day might have had theirs repainted to suit their tastes.

Hope this helps. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 02:48 pm:

Chris T's that were built from 17-25 are considered built in the "black era". Those years T's from the factory were all black.

There were more T's built in that era than any other. That's probably why the average person thinks that all Model T's were black.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 03:31 pm:

Thank You all. It will soon be white but I'll make sure that all modifications are reversible.

Any reccomendations for good sources of chrome, nickel and brass bolt ons?

Chris
615-686-0869
Nashville, TN

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 03:38 pm:

Chris:

Come to the DARK side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 03:59 pm:

Thx but I already have 3 black vehicles and I'm planning to create a market for Model-T weddng cars. Gotta start with white to get the wedding shops onboard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 05:08 pm:

Chris,

All fans of the Model T should applaud your plans to make one into a wedding car. It will help with visibility for the hobby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 10:19 pm:

Search the archives, there was a project a few years ago making a wedding car that looked like an early T (I think they used a later, but T chassis). It was painted white with LOTS of brass trim.
BTW, Chrome just looks wrong on a T; Nickel however, is quite nice--and a classier type of "bling"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 10:28 pm:

Chris

For some ideas, this '26-'27 Improved Car was custom stretched for wedding duty. Neat enlarged front to rear facing seats for the wedding party.
Was at Hershey for sale quite a few years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 11:15 pm:

A T for a wedding car! mmm plenty of tears on ripped wedding dresses getting in and out of a T!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 11:56 pm:

Well, one of the recent trends is to trash your dress after the wedding!
I can't figure out where the world is going!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 11:49 am:

If your goal is to make the alterations reversible, are you concerned about value? If so, know that you will be significantly lowering the value by painting it white.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 01:48 pm:

T's (in the main) aren't worth squat, anyway. Costs more to fix one up than can ever be recouped on all
but the most special cars. While I do not follow the logic of a white wedding car - I think most people expect
(and prefer) the formality of black for such occasions - a car such as this is a "professional car", and as such,
is made up to earn money like a taxi or a funeral coach. The returns are up front on professional cars, not
something a person expects to collect upon retirement or sale of the vehicle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 02:01 pm:

Has anyone tried a wrap job on a Model T? It would take a lot of separate panels, but you might get good results without having to disassemble the car.

http://www.insightsigncompany.com/what-is-a-car-wrap/

(Message edited by cudaman on June 01, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 08:52 pm:

Thank You all! This seems like a great community of enthusiasts. The car is already the wrong color for 1924, and all work done will be reversible.

I have tried wraps and will definitely check their price for this car.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration