Overdrives

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Overdrives
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derrick Pang on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 03:23 pm:

I've had these in my possession for sometime now. They came with a some parts I got for my T. I have absolutely no knowledge on them. Can someone fill me with how they are conditionally, with the maker, and just the overall worth? Thank you in advance!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 05:56 pm:

They are Borg Warner overdrive transmissions from a 1950's Rambler adapted to a T driveline. Quite a few were made years ago. Not only is it an overdrive but you can also use 2nd gear in the tranny for an underdrive, so you don't need a Ruckstell for hill country. We have worked with some of these and they work well if you know how to set up and operate them. You need rear wheel brakes or real good life insurance before putting one in your car. Lots of ways to get into neutral.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derrick Pang on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 06:15 pm:

Thanks Erik! Any idea how much they may be worth?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 07:57 pm:

A Long Beach Model T fellow now long gone named Orville Enyeart. made up a bunch of them as well as fitting four wheel hydraulic brakes from a Nash Metropolitan to a Model T. He made a lot of after market parts for T's and a lot of Long Beach Model T Club members are still driving T's with his modifications on them and they still work. Orville passed away in 1994.

Metro brakes on a famous Speedster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 09:25 pm:

We have seen them from $300-900 at swap meets.
Frank, I have heard that Orville made the C-4 transmission conversion that we are running on the Gemsa engines.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 12:45 pm:

The late Ralph Ricks RIP was a guru with these and drove his speedster several times in the Great Race I have driven his T and really liked the shifting cause you just like the old days just let up on the gas lever to shift to O/D,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 01:03 pm:

Erik, It could be but I don't think Larue Thomas worked with Orville. Larue owned a big Cadillac dealership in an eight story building with over 100 collector cars in it and had a full staff of mechanics on hand at all times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 02:24 am:

Funny, Derrick, I was just thinking of those a couple of days ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derrick Pang on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 04:35 am:

I've been thinking about them since they came here. =P They practically stare at me every time I walk out my front door. lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 07:18 am:

That type of B-W overdrive was used on every brand of car in the 1940's to 1960's. Ford offered it in F series trucks as late as 1969 behind the three speed manual transmission.

You have to add accessory wheel brakes because the BW OD has a forward freewheeling feature that makes Model t brake pedal useless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 12:22 pm:

I sold one at Chickasha for $300 a few years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 12:36 pm:

You can manually ground the governor and you get a hill holder like Studebaker offered. They offered a switch that did that called "Gainamatic". It sold for $10.00. I simply bought a toggle switch for my 51 Ford Coupe. G.M. also put the B.W. overdrive in their six cylinder cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 01:29 pm:

GM also put BW overdrives in V8 Chevys 55 to 57, Very nice. Dave in Bellingham,WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert D. Hyden on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 03:25 pm:

I have what is supposed to be a BW overdrive on a 1930 Model A Phaeton. However, when using the overdrive I can't go any faster than 45 mph. The car actually performs much better when not using the overdrive. Anyone knowing how to modify the governor please let me know.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration