Ot Tellamarketers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Ot Tellamarketers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 04:42 pm:

I have been bombarded by Tellamarketers the last 4 days. I don't usually answer them but the names on the caller ID have indicated they something to do with collage finances so I answered a couple. They were wanting to talk to a spacific person. There were about 5 or 6 difference names on the id
They are driving me crazy. Is there any thing I can do to stop this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 05:01 pm:

If you find out, let me know. I had one that called me SEVERAL times a day for several days in a row. Funny thing is, a co-worker was getting calls from the same number. A reverse phone number inquiring showed the number was tagged "Scam/Fraud". I seldom ever answer my phone unless it is a number I recognize. If it's legit, they'll leave a message. I did block the number that called so many times, but that was just about as annoying. Although the phone didn't ring, every time I turned my screen on, I had a message that I had received a call from a blocked number and did I wish to UNblock the number. "L" NO! I don't want to UNblock the number. That's why I blocked it!

Anyway, yes, I have gotten a lot more calls just the last week or so than ever before, and not just form that one number. Several different numbers. If they call me more than once, I'll block-em. They probably just call form a different number next time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 05:05 pm:

Sure there's something you can do. Let a machine answer. It's not expensive. Hope springs eternal in the telemarketing breast, but sales sharks, scammers, politicians, alleged "charities", and other pests seeking to vacuum dollars out of my pockets get nothing from me but the bum's rush. They all get my message inviting them to take a hike, and asking legitimate callers to leave a message. If I happen to be present and it's somebody I want to talk to, I pick up. Recently I've received a few pest calls by cell phone. For those I go to the phone company website and block their number so they can't call me again. I like to think I'm part of spoiling their day.You don't have to be pestered if you don't want to. It's your choice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 05:10 pm:

I like to pick up the phone and just stay completely silent... they usually say hello a few times then hang up... its kinda fun if you have time to kill :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 05:23 pm:

Don't know the exact name, maybe Google it, but my wife uses an app called something like NoRoBo and you register your phone with them. All calls come through their electronics and any robo calls get intercepted and blocked from their service.
Your phone will ring once and if it does not ring again, it was a RoBo call and the service stopped it. If your phone continues ro ring, it is a live person. Doesn't mean it's not a telemarketer, but at least it's not the gals from Credit Card Services, or the "free" home alarm system, etc.

It's free.

And, the Federal No Call list seems to cut down, but not stop all the others. It's amazing how many times our phone rings once and then stops every day.

Look into this service.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 05:44 pm:

These are the magic words. _Stick them up on the wall next to your phone. _Don't let your caller hear anything from you except these words, in this exact order, repeated as many times as necessary. _Exact repetition will make the caller understand that he/she will make no progress with you no matter what he/she says. _It also has legal implications:

"This is an unlisted phone number and it is on the national do-not-call list because I want not to be interrupted by precisely this kind of call. _Please take me off your list and do not call me ever again."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 05:48 pm:

It's called nomorobo, and according to this, it only works on phones with caller ID. Also says it isn't supported by most of the mobile phone carriers.

Since I currently don't pay for caller ID or any other enhancements of my phone service, I'm sure not going to start paying for it just so I can sign up for nomorobo.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/07/robocall-blocker-review/inde x.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 05:50 pm:

I like to mess with them. The ones I like the best are the ones that tell me I've won a trip to some island. Act interested and thank them for the vacation. My favorite line is, "after prison and a bankrupcy, I never thought I would be able to afford a vacation again". Click.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin in Katy Texas on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 05:56 pm:

Add your numbers to the National Do-Not-Call registry. Its free and easy and govt run. If they continue to call you, you can easily make a case against them and add their number/s to the case.

https://www.donotcall.gov/

It works, we added all our numbers and we have not had a problem since. Well, we had one auto call about once a month, but I made a case online and it too has stopped. touch wood.

Hope this helps,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 06:03 pm:

With our Direct TV the calling number shows up on the TV as well as the telephone handset. If it is a recognized number we'll answer it. Other wise we just let the automated voice mail take the call. We figure if its important they'll leave a message and we'll call them back. This has drastically cut down on telemarketer calls. Maybe less than 6 a day. Sometimes only 1 or 2.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 06:20 pm:

since i posted this thread at 4:42 this afternoon, i have got 5 different tellemarketing calls

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 06:31 pm:

Caller ID and usually I won't answer if I don't recognize the number as a friend. So if you try to call me, do leave a message! Sometimes, if I am by myself, I answer in German. So far nobody has ever responded in kind.
If you do decide to play around with a foreign language? Be careful not to say "yes" in any form or language. Sharp telemarketers have been known to twist any form of "yes" into an agreement to purchase.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 06:40 pm:

I keep getting called by a security company wanting to give me a security system for free if I let them put a sign in my yard. They tell me they will take my number off the list but do not. I get called about five times a week. Blocking the numbers does not work because every time they call from a different number. I got my number on the do not call list and it made no difference at all. It really pisses me off because I get called when I am overseas and get charged roaming charges for their calls. I asked them for an address where I can send an invoice for the roaming charges and get cut off.
I already have a security system so I have no need for theirs, even if it actually does turn out to be free, which I very much doubt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 06:47 pm:

This is what my answering machine says:

There is nobody available to take your call right now.
If you wish to press 8, press 8 now...
If you wish to speak to Mr. Fox, please hang up and dial 713 xxx xxxx ( phone number of the Houston city zoo )...
Otherwise, please leave a beep after the message and we will call you back.... maybe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW Troy, Mo. on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 07:29 pm:

I got on a call list from home improvement people. One caught me in a nasty mood one night. I made a statement to the caller thanking them for the call. The bank was forclosing on me and I had to get work done on my house immediately. I had no money to pay. CLICK. Never got another home improvement call.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 07:41 pm:

Windows Tech Support called again today,seems I've had a number of malware attacks on my Microsoft computer they want to fix. I told them I'm not having any trouble thank you, said good bye and hungup, lady calls back 5 mins later and asks why I hung up on her? I said I'm not having any trouble and how do you know I have a Microsoft computer ??
She said we have the serial number recorded from the attack from Nigeria. Ok I'll call my provider and by the way, you are a liar, I don't have Microsoft anything. hung up, called TimeWarner phone service and put a block on all calls with "no return number" provided. That will knock out the IRS also. Bastards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 07:59 pm:

George and I thought I had problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Stolpestad on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 08:03 pm:

You can go one better and answer by saying; "thanks for calling you are on the air with bob Jacobs, or some other name" they hang up.

Used to get my sister in-law to answer those calls. She is from Japan so you can guess where that call goes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 08:17 pm:

I used to answer my wife's phone when we didn't recognize the called Id with " Dr's emergency line. If this is an emergency please Hangup and dial 911. If not call the office in the morning. If you really need to talk with her please leave a message. You will be billed accordingly. "

She has a Phd so I was telling the truth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 09:02 pm:

You guys don't know a fun opportunity when you see one.

All these guys come from a different space, so you have to roll with the punches, but if they are selling
vinyl siding, ask how it holds up to fire, is it available in puce or chartreuse, or how you can change colors
later ???

Craig's pitch is another .... answer with a heavy accent and take the conversation to really inappropriate
places.

I had some religious door knockers that would not let it go. I was not rude to them and I guess they took
that as a green light to come back 20 times. Finally, I played the part of the closet Nazi and politely asked
for their religious advice regarding "the jewish problem". They took on an ashen look, put their books back
in their satchels, and never came back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 10:14 pm:

One Saturday afternoon when I wasn't really doing anything I got a call from Sears, asking about my recent purchase and if I had any problesm with it.
"It Sucks" I said. "Oh! Why don't you like it?" "I didn't say I didn't like it, I said it sucks!" "I'm sorry you are unhappy with your purchase sir, what is it you find wrong with it?"
"Ma'm, it's a Shop Vacuum, it sucks!" "Yes I understand you aren't happy with it, but what is wrong with it?" "Nothing! It's a Shop Vacuum, it's supposed to Suck!" "Yes sir, but. . . . . OH!"
She called the wrong "old guy" on a day when I didn't really have anything better to do!
:-) She was nice about it too.

You do know why Lucas, the inventor of the Short Circuit, Prince of Darkness, decided to make Vacuum Cleaners?? They want to make ONE product that didn't suck!
:-)
I now return you to your 'normal' programming. . .
BTW, I AM on the "do not call" list, for years (just checked) and I still get "those calls."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andria Myers----------Long Beach, CA on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 03:40 am:

Yes - We've been a faithful member of the DoNotCall list since 1994 ...... They don't care !! Now they use spoofed numbers that can't be traced. Out of the 150+ FTC complaints I filed on different numbers I never, ever got contacted for a follow up. Not even once.

We used to "mess with them" then it got old and wasn't worth the effort anymore when they started getting nasty. My blood pressure goes up when I could be relaxing working on my T.

Nowadays we primarily use our cell phones. So I got rid of voicemail and just connected the .......FAX Machine.
Eeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaeeeee :-)
Take that telemarketers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 05:24 am:

So that's why nobody ever answers the phone when i call... they all think i'm a telemarketer. Guess they want me to call from a number they already know.
If you don't want them to call back try talking to them in the most disturbing voice. They get scared and hang up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 06:07 am:

ringy dingy answer: Dighton Police this call
is recorded

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 06:41 am:

I know I could get in trouble, but this seemed to work as I was getting calls almost daily a couple times a day from the same couple of numbers.

I answered the phone in the following way.
"Albany FBI, agent Todd speaking", then I get silence. "Hello, FBI, can I help you?"

They hang up, and I have not heard from them since. Lets just hope I don't get an FBI agent spam calling me, LOL.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 06:51 am:

If they call your cell phone ask them never to call your cell phone again if they do contact a lawyer you could get up to $1500.00 per call if they refuse your request ( I got $2601 for two calls to my cell from a bill collector who was calling the wrong number) good luck :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 07:40 am:

Is there a law that says they cannot call a cell number? That would be great. I have unlimited minutes on mine, but THEY don't know that. and certainly not everyone does. It ought to be against the law for them to use up someone's minutes.

We haven't had a land line in many years. The only people that EVER called it was telemarketers and my Mom. She has both of our cell numbers, so that was no reason to keep the land line.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 08:06 am:

This lawyer here in Tampa advertises about getting $1500 a call for every call from a bill collector on your cell phone.
Don't know how true it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 08:14 am:

Hal
There used to be a law about calling cells, but I think our hero's in Washington DC shot that down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 08:24 am:

The law is still in place and you can collect IF you get the callers name the company they work for and the time of day you told them not to call after all of that you can collect, most legitimate company's now tell their operators to note that so they will not call you again. Some will try to tell you it will take up to 30 days to remove your number reiterate that any calls from this date will be referred to your attorney. It is a PITA but even though the lawyer got a good share it was worth the effort to me as I get very few calls after I won.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jesse L. Ashcraft on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 09:23 am:

quote:

Sure there's something you can do. Let a machine answer.

The "Do Not Call" list is a myth. I'm with Steve. I screen all my calls.

That phone is for my convenience, not yours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 10:23 am:

Sorry, Jesse. You are here to serve the moneymakers. Your privacy and convenience
is of no interest to them. They have dish TV and vinyl siding to sell you !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 11:27 am:

Depends on how much time I have. I hate the ones which call at noon or five pm. They seem to know when we are eating. I also don't like the ones which do not speak when I answer.

If there is a voice, and I don't have much time I just ask the name of their company, and then say,"I am putting you on my list. I don't do business with people who call me on the phone".

If I have a lot of time to kill, I let them go on with their spiel and then finally tell them, I don't want any, but I kept you on the line so you won't be bugging others.

If they are selling solar energy, I let them make their spiel and when they tell me they can save me money on my electric bill, I ask,"Can you lower the rate I am paying for my solar system?" They usually bug off when I say that.

Sometimes I just say, "GET OFF MY PHONE AND DON'T CALL AGAIN!!!"

Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 12:34 pm:

Years ago, Andy Rooney said that when a telemarketer called, he'd listen to a few sentences and then say, "That sounds interesting. Let me get pen and paper so I can write it down." Then he'd go back to doing whatever he was doing when the phone rang.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 05:28 pm:

Still getting them damn calls.
Not as many as the last few days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 05:44 pm:

I had a couple calls telling me I had won a free satellite tv system if I paid for a package and blah blah blah. I said, "Hey that is great, just drop it off at the door,I will pay ye for the basic package" " uh no sir,we can't do that, we have to install it and blah blah blah." I said ,"Wait a minute,you said I already won it,so there is a system somewhere for me that is MINE and I want it and I want it asap. I have a degree in electronics have installed them before, so I can handle all of that,I don't need your "techs" coming in my house". CLIC.

All they wanted to do was get in my house and see what they could come back and steal just like what happened to my neighbors years ago. They had a carpet cleaner come out. Did a great job. He even came back after hours to clean up the guns and jewelry so it wouldn't be in the way! :-( Trouble was his Buick couldn't outrun a Motorola so he got caught in the next county.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 08:30 pm:

Some times if I'm in a frisky mood I'll answer, being truthful, "White House. How may I direct your call?" Mostly silence with hang ups. Sometimes I even do it to my wife's friends.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 12:52 am:

I called my wife's aunt & uncle in the days before they had caller ID.... Knowing they both had an engagingly wonderful sense of humor, and then to have her answer, I responded "This is a COLLECT OBSCENE PHONE CALL. Will you accept the charges?" Gasping, stammering and flustered, she couldn't juggle the phone over to Uncle Skip fast enough! (He immediately recognized the laughter at the other end to be mine.) And a fun chuckle for everyone. BTW - 'Laughter' helps to prevent ulcers!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration