1912 windshield brace rods

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1912 windshield brace rods
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 07:04 pm:

I need to remove the windshield brace rods on my Touring. The bottom (forward) ends of the brace rods look like they go into a cast steel fitting that is bolted to the frame. It appears that there is nothing more than a cotter pin through the fitting and the rod to hold it all together.

So, can I simply take the cotter pin out (and the nut at the top end) and pull the rod out of the cast steel socket ? Are they usually stuck pretty firmly, or should they pull right out ?

Thanks in advance,

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 07:47 pm:

Dick, mine has a set screw at the bottom bracket on the frame, seems to me I just took that out and the rod slid out fairly easily when I took the firewall off to restore it and yank the engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 08:17 pm:

Thanks for the reply, Tim. Is the set screw in the side of the bottom bracket such that it presses on the side of the rod, or is the set screw in the bottom end of the fitting ? I don't see any set screw on mine.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 09:26 pm:

Dick-
Post a picture. Mine has a wrap around bracket that is bolted to the frame.

Loosen the bolt and the clamp loosens.

-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 11:05 pm:

Keith,

You were right. My "fittings" are actually wrap around clamps just like your car. There are so many coats of old paint on mine that it took a good light to determine their actual construction. But I do for some reason have a hole drilled transverse to the rod, with a cotter pin installed.

On the bolt that holds the clamp, is the head held captive inside the frame rail such that the nut can be loosened and re-tightened without somehow getting a wrench on the head ?

Thanks,

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 12:16 am:

Dick, two points. I put a longer bolt through the frame and fender bracket and it is held captive with a plain nut. The longer thread takes the rod bracket and a castle nut to hold it. This arrangement makes removal for polishing a breeze.

Secondly, the rods can become loose in the brackets over time. I put a 3/16" metal thread through mine, front to back to stop any movement. The bracket stays on the rod when I remove it.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 07:28 am:

Dick..mine has the screw on the side..sounds like you pretty much have it taken care of now. My bolts were not captive as I recall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 08:17 pm:

Thanks for the information, guys. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get a wrench onto the bolt heads. Don't think I dare loosen the nuts at the bottom unless I know for sure that I can re-tighten them.

By the way, the reason I am wondering how to get the windshield brace rods off the car is that both rods have some season cracking. The inside steel tubes provide the structural strength, but the cracks just seem to worsen over time. My brother (a jeweler) says he can repair the cracks with gold bearing solder, then polish the solder and it will look like nothing ever happened.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 10:59 pm:

Dick,
My rods I made using solid brass tubing. If yours are steel sheathed in brass, they are like the tubes on the brass and iron beds I used to restore. The cracking on those was due to rust underneath the brass sheath expanding. That is incurable.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration