1912 On The Road Again

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1912 On The Road Again
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Ryan on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 08:39 pm:

Found this car in Wisconsin 2 years ago. The body was off and it sat in a barn. The chassis had been converted to a Form-a-truck in World War 2. I put it all back together with original body, engine, frame, transmission, rear end, running boards, and front fenders and etc. Found the lights, rear fender, and misc. hear and there.
Andy Loso rebuilt the engine and drive-line. Stan Howe did the carburetor, R.V. Anderson did the coils, runs pretty good but has just a few issues that need to be worked on. Right or wrong, I am not going to restore the body. I also have the original "Foredoors". I have the "13" for my restored car. I plan to bring it to Farmington, MN for a Model T club reunion on June 11, if I can get out of a couple high school graduation parties.
Dan in Minnesota.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gitts - Ferndale, WA on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 08:45 pm:

Glad you're not going to restore it. Barn finds and preservation cars hard to find and this one certainly has great patina and a great look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 09:25 pm:

Dan,
Very nice. Will we see it in Paynesville at the "Early Ford and Others Tour prior to New London to New Brighton?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 09:30 pm:

Fantastic car. Our 1912 slab side touring is #131315 and is originally from MN.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 09:46 pm:

Like!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Ryan on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 09:55 pm:

Mike only 34 numbers apart .This car is from Wisc.but only 60 miles Twin Cities.Same carload as yours I bet.Rob I am pretty Sure I will make to the pre touring,I had a lot of fun two years ago

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Ryan on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 10:21 pm:

Mike your 12 is beautiful.If I ever get To Houston,I would like to see it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 10:30 pm:

Our car was restored in the early 1950s by Frank Kelly in Minneapolis. Who knows, maybe he got the car in Wisconsin? Neat that two cars of the same body style from roughly the same production day are still around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 06:38 am:

Dan great looking car! And it was great that the body was saved and not just tossed out into the back 40 when they made the chassis into a tractor.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 09:41 am:

What is the significance of the number above the serial number? Looks like 5 18 24.

Is that a casting date on a replacement block? Never seen it in that position before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 09:57 am:

Or, is it 5 18 12 and what I think is "4" is actually the imprint of from the screw of the mold tag?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 10:20 am:

That is the way they did casting dates in part of 1912. I've seen others that are late in the year that are in the usual place. My '13 roadster has a block that must have been at the bottom of the pile, because the casting date is as the above photo, but the casing date is not legible. The engine number has not been altered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 02:33 pm:

Great car!!! As long as it's safe, don't touch it!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Byrne - Racine, MN on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 02:59 pm:

Dan, it's great to see you have your 1912 all assembled back to original. I look forward to seeing it up at Farmington!
As a side note, I want to thank you Dan, for selling me the truck conversion parts that were on your touring. Wish I could say I've made as much progress on your "leftovers". I've got most all the stuff collected that I needed to assemble the truck conversion correctly as a pre-1915 brass era vehicle but I still need to find a few things like a correct dash and windshield. I would like to find old used stuff but may have to use some reproduction parts. I was going to try and leave it as a "work clothes" truck, much like you have done with your car, but that may not work out, I may have to go to a full restoration. By the way, after a lot of research, I found that it is an I-O-W-A 1-Ton truck conversion built in Ottumwa, Iowa.

Below is a photo of what Dan's car looked like when he got it.

468272.jpg

Below are photos of the I-O-W-A conversion pieces.

ORG Iowa conversion.jpg IOWA 1.jpg IOWA 2.jpg IOWA 3.jpg IOWA Cab 1.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Ryan on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 08:37 pm:

The story of this car is,about 1940 a young farm boy from Plum City Wisc.bought the 1912.When United States entered the war he was drafted.During the war his farm family decided they had a better use for sons car.Bought an I O W A truck conversion That Roger Byrne has now. Son survived the war but no interest in the car. anymore. So I just put it back together again as Henry Ford and As they God intended.Eric I think 1912 had three different locations of casting dates.the one above serial number is most difficult to read.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration