Old Photo - Scoville Union Meeting, Akron Ohio, Feb. 7 1915

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Scoville Union Meeting, Akron Ohio, Feb. 7 1915
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 11:34 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lew Morrill on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 08:51 am:

It's amazing that so many cars were driven in the winter without anti freeze. Seems that many cracked blocks and heads (not to mention radiators) would have been the result especially when you consider how little most of the owners really knew about what they were doing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 08:56 am:

Alcohol was mixed with water rather than the modern day ethylene glycol solution used today. The concentration of the mix had to monitored as the alcohol would boil away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 09:23 am:

Jack - Old guys like me can remember using the alcohol anti-freeze with water, just as you said, even into the early '50's! My Dad used alcohol in his brand new '51 Pontiac for it's first couple years or so, and I remember distinctly that he changed to the ethylene glycol in about 1955 (give or take a year or so). Here's why I remember,.......

I got my first car when I was 15 in 1956 ('28 Model A Ford Coupe) and put that "new-fangled" (and very expensive) "permanent" (ethylene glycol) anti-freeze in it, and my Dad gave me all kinds of "h---"about it, saying,..."what are you,...rich or sumth'n?" The very next winter, guess what Dad put in his Pontiac? Yup! Permanent anti-freeze! I wanted to say to him,...."what are you,...rich or sumth'n?" But in those days, kids didn't talk to dad that way. I know I sure didn't, or I'd be pick'n myself up off of the ground!

Anyway, my point is, I never saw anything die out so fast as alcohol anti-freeze as that stuff did when the new "permanent anti-freeze" came out! (...or maybe I should say when it became popular) Funny,....when I think about it,....it really used to be called "permanent" anti-freeze, but it's seldom called that anymore. Probably because it really should be changed once in awhile, huh? Altho' I really think a lot of people never bother with that,....they just trade the car in on a new one! Guess what's one of the first things you should do to a newly purchased "used car", right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 09:25 am:

All that, and I forgot to say,....GREAT PHOTO Jay! I'm always amazed at how sharp & clear many of those old photos are!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 01:16 pm:

from right to left #1 ford the next 4 look to be overlands. look to be fords from there on. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 01:28 pm:

Very good picture and i imagine the passengers in the cars were a little cool when they got to their meeting with no heat. People were tougher back then.. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 01:37 pm:

I too remember it being called "permanent" anti-freeze.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 02:51 pm:

I've heard many used straight kerosene in the radiator. Guess it wouldn't matter as long as it absorbs heat from the block and gives it up at the radiator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 03:28 pm:

Not sure how kerosene would affect the hoses, but it sure would cut down on interior rust !
Cast iron + water + 90 years sure can make for some ugly metal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Balough on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 05:34 pm:

A Northern post card from 1906.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 10:53 am:

The glycerine mentioned above, was meant to sit on the surface of the water and "seal" it to prevent the alcohol from evaporating out. As I understand it...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 01:44 pm:

Glycerine is very water soluble, and could be anti freeze, but expensive. When I was a kid everybody just said Prestone. Dave in Bellingham,WA

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration