Repro parts woes.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Repro parts woes.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 06:11 am:

I have just finished re-bushing the transmission drums for my roadster project, using bushes from the vendors. 3 of the five did not clean up entirely when machined to give the recommended clearances. The only good thing is the clearances will be greater rather than too tight. Perhaps the makers should be made aware that we need a little more material to work with. I machine the bushes so they just go over the gears. When in the running position, the clearance is usually taken care of by the wear on the shafts.

New un-worn gear shafts might have seen the bushes clean up for the correct fit, but they need to have more material for them to be machined to suit worn shafts.

Has anyone else had the same problems?

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By J and M Machine Co Inc on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 08:53 am:

Hello Allan:
Yes: I have had low speed bushings and reverse ones just barely clean up. You're not the first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 10:11 am:

Low drum bushings seem to be the worst in this respect. A .005" smaller bore would be enough 90% of the time to get a nice clean bore. Its very frustrating to have to press out a new bushing and go make one in order to avoid having excessive clearance. I hope that whoever is making the bushings gets this message. Bob? Don III?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 10:40 am:

I have seen the same thing. So far the ones I have done have given no running issues. While they are adding material to the ID why not do the same for the upper drive shaft bushing. Making them to the factory prints is great if you are installing a new drive shaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 04:49 pm:

You need to contact Snyder's or Bob's, The manufacturers or nothing will get done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 07:27 pm:

Bob's a few months ago was talking of making the correct bushings but have not heard nothing since?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 08:20 pm:

Bob has made the triple gear bushing. There was a thread a while back, questions were raised as to the type of bronze used. I think it was resolved..

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration