Old Car Festival

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Car Festival
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 03:56 pm:

I just got an email informing me that registration for Old Car Festival is now open. If you've been a regular participant for the past few years, you should be getting yours, too. Also, check the OCF website.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 04:07 pm:

Just filled out mine!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 04:09 pm:

I'm wondering if its worth the hassle...:-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter McIntyre on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 04:16 pm:

Got mine.Yes it is worth the hassle!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 04:31 pm:

I'm in......

One of the three best old car events of the year for me.....

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Seelman on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 04:49 pm:

I'm in too

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 05:17 pm:

This HAS to be the BEST car show/event ever! If you've never experienced OCF, put it on your bucket list!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Rogahn - Davisburg, MI on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 06:08 pm:

Sooo....

Unless I blatantly missed it, I've noticed there isn't a provision to add new entries. Is this the new norm based on the letter we received earlier this year? I have a new candidate i'd like to show but don't see a way to enter it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 06:44 pm:

Done!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 11:30 pm:

Aaron,

I think you can, it just isn't real clear. Edit your entry and I think you can add vehicles or change there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 02:14 am:

It is on my bucket list! But I don't think it can happen this year. I do hope they will let me in if I do try to make it someday?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 08:07 am:

Only 97 more days! It's funny how we get excited by an event that coincides with the end of summer.

I'm signed up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 08:55 am:

Wayne,The OCF is about the cars,trucks,motorcycles and how they were back in the time and use.What one brings can be perfect or covered in rust.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 10:04 am:

Well I was told I"M GOING !! So the app for the invite is done....hold your breath time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 11:01 am:

We bought a motorhome this year, so we can camp out with the cool kids in the fenced lot. Steve Jelf, come on east!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 05:54 pm:

Aaron, have you had a car at OCF before in the past roughly five years? If you have, then that should be eligible. If this is a "new entry" (i.e.: a car you have not had there in that time frame) then I think the new rules kick in. I think they are taking only those that have been there in the recent past first. But, I would call the Village to find out for sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Derocher on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 09:45 pm:

There is always a great time to be had. If you don't bring/have a car, ride the T's driving around the village. The Ride ticket covers T rides, train rides, and the little bus rides, It is fun for all. Jim Derocher, AuGres, MI

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 04:58 pm:

You can usually cadge a ride with someone, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 05:11 pm:

Hoping this is the year some kind soul offers me a ride in an open T - 1909-1911! Never been in one and would like to see what it's like to ride in front with no doors!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Schrage on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 05:48 pm:

I am a newbie and filled out the registration. We'll see what happens. Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 06:13 pm:

The best ride i ever had was in Rob's Model K!! A lot of very smooth power and the two speed work's well!! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 06:24 pm:

Oh yeah rub it in Bud...I've been dying for a ride in Rob's Model K but he said I was too ugly. I hope someday to get to the OFC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 07:23 pm:

Bill, if you don't get your wish then come on down to my place...I'll haul you all around Gods green acres in Pete! It is a blast. I actually prefer the car, er, truck, with no doors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 11:09 pm:

Bill,
Come over to the early Ford area at OCF. Non of us have front doors (and wimpshields are in short supply too) and we are constantly giving rides.

Denny,
Your pretty enough to join us. After all, Bud gets a ride. Just sayin.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 05:48 am:

Rob, very kind of you! I'll stop by!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 09:45 am:

That is the great part of our friend Rob!! This is what the old car hobby need's is people willing to share a ride! To if only me this shoot's a hole in the white tire cover crowd but to each their choice.Myself,i'm happy just to say hi,look,and maybe chew the fat awhile! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 10:06 am:

Would it be possible for someone to post a link to this festival for the rest of us newbies?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 10:13 am:

https://www.thehenryford.org/current-events/calendar/old-car-festival

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 12:41 pm:

Alan, The Old Car Festival ids always the weekend after Labor Day. Saturday runs from opening until 9:00 PM when there are usually fireworks. Between closing at 4:00 and 9:00 is the "Gaslight Drive". Here is where you get to see how bright the gas lights are. There is also free driving during both days, and a pass in review where vehicles by year, and sometimes special vehicles, are displayed and described by our knowledgeable announcers - Marty Buffalini, Bob Casey and David Liepelt, and Glenn Miller. Don Liepelt an others bring period camping gear. There is usually a bevy of high wheel bicyclists, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 12:49 pm:

Usually on the field there are gaslight, rumble seat, and side curtain demonstrations along with a Model T assembly team. They didn't do them last year because the master of ceremonies was under the weather.

And there's a really cool tow truck too.

Don't forget the sister show, the Motor Muster on Father's Day weekend. All the new cars starting with 1933 will be there.

91 days and five hours until registration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gitts - Ferndale, WA on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 10:35 pm:

I think this has already been asked and could be I'm blind or dense, but going to the link and querying registration for this event turns up nothing. IF I wanted to enter a vehicle for 2017, (I've never done this before) how do you find the registration forms, or where do you send the vehicle photos and request for entry consideration? Seems those who've shown in the past are "hooked up", but those of us who've never done this and would like to, have no way to send in a request. Am I missing something??????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 11:28 pm:

Same question here. I might give it a go next year, if a 1915 Ford isn't too dime-a-dozen common to be admitted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 06:02 am:

I don't believe you can register ahead of time for the following year; it is such a huge event that they can only take one year at a time. Those who have attended within the last five years were eligible to register for this year's event, and I'm assuming, from past experience, that the registration for 2017 will follow the same pattern.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 08:25 am:

I wasn't asking about registering this year for next year's event. What Les and I want to know is whether it's possible for us to register at all, meaning register next year for next year's OCF. Apparently not. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 10:50 am:

The Motor Muster is going on this weekend and i think after that you might try to contact the people involved and question them? Both the OCF and Motor Muster are huge events and there is much involved!Participant's are given arm bands and can also go in the Museum which is really great in case of that 4 letter word rain! Also a good time to go to the Piquette which is in a class by it's self!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David C Jahnke on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 11:05 am:

Motor Muster is the following weekend, June 18-19.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David C Jahnke on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 11:07 am:

You can get the full information on this years Motor Muster at

https://www.thehenryford.org/current-events/calendar/motor-muster/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gitts - Ferndale, WA on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 03:36 pm:

Seems the "riddle of the sphinx" is easier to answer and this is now "as clear as mud". I guess Steve Jelf and I need to call the Henry Ford Museum and find out if the OCF is a closed "invitation only" event or if there's some sort of waiting list to get on, in order to have a chance to attend. This sounds like a great event, but mystifying as to how to apply.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 04:55 pm:

You are correct, Les, it is a bit of a mystery but it never used to be! It was always open to anyone who had a car that was built prior to 1933 that was in stock condition. T buckets, blown motors and hot rods were not allowed, but fully restored to original condition was smiled upon but so was barn fresh! The problem arose after too many participants showed up last year. The park is only so big, and the parking is limited for trailers and campers so the powers that be decided on the invitation only based on previous attendance. Even that isn't a shoe-in; from what I understand even those of us who have received our invitations have only been invited to register. We fill out the proper forms and send in photos of the cars we would like to bring, then "they" decide who qualifies. I'm assuming once a certain number of cars is reached, or certain model years/styles/makes is met the rest of us will get the "Dear John" letter. This is all speculation based on what was thought to be said by the OCF, but no one is 100% certain. I think the number of cars attending could be better curtailed by simply allowing only ONE entry per family. Some folk used to bring two or three vehicles; a Model T, a Model A and maybe an early Dodge. Tell me THAT doesn't take up space! I totally get it that those folk like to share their collection with the rest of the population at such a cool setting, but when it causes logistical nightmares that results in invitation only, then I say change it to one entry only. They could also add a third event (highly unlikely) that could accommodate, say, 1928 thru 1946 vehicles and change the Motor Muster to 1947 thru 1977 or so. That way the OCF is all about the Model T and earlier cars and it gives participants more space on the streets of Greenfield Village! Anyway, that's my preaching for today - sorry I got carried away but it is rather frustrating, especially for guy's like you and Steve who have never been to the OCF.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 05:13 pm:

Bill,Some very good idea's and i hope people listen!!Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gitts - Ferndale, WA on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 09:14 pm:

Thanks Bill, as your explanation certainly clears up why I couldn't find any information on the Henry Ford links. I'd would brought either a '13 Towncar or a 1906 Queen touring (one of 4 existing and only known original- 2nd pl Pebble Beach preservation winner). I'll keep watching, as maybe in a year or two (earliest I could go anyway) things may change. In the mean time, I'm envious of the ones that can go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 04:51 pm:

Gentleman, let's see if I can clear this up a bit.

This is based on having been a consultant to The Henry Ford for 35 years and narrating the Motor Muster since its inception and the OCF for 35 years (although, I'm not in the loop as much as I used to be -- if I were, I would have vehemently vocalized my opposition.)

First, as I understand it, if you have registered a vehicle in the past few years, you should be getting -- or have gotten -- an email or some notification informing you that the OCF registration is open. In that sense, it is "invitation only". Based on what I know from the powers that be, after that, Village space allowing, it will be open to all others. I do not know how all others will be notified.

Please understand, I do not agree with this new method, but, as I understand it, the powers that be to whom the Special Events team reports to, are apparently, for some reason, flexing their muscles without a complete understanding of the event(s). Reasons unclear.

I know, some of this is confusing, but bear with me. Les, Stan, there is no waiting list. See third paragraph above.

Bill, some good ideas, but, in my opinion, the Village would not do a third car event. As for limiting one car per family, if the vehicles have been registered before, they are eligible. I admit I bring two vehicles. Also, Bill, we (I used to be one of the approvers) always screened the cars. We were more strict a couple of years ago. The Villages' charter or mission has been to educate, therefore, if a car was historically incorrect (pretty much something glaring) it was rejected.

Tom Mullin: Glen Miller and Bob Casey no longer narrate and this may be my last year too. Narrating more than half of all OCF's is probably enough.

MM and, more so OCF, are huge events and draw huge crowds of visitors. The Special Events Team deserve many, many thanks for running both events. It is an enormous amount of coordination that starts months in advance and then a ton of work just before, during and, after the events. It can be a logistical nightmare, not to mention trying to make all participants and visitors happy.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if I can clear anything up.

Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tod Wirth - Richfield, WI on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 08:03 pm:

Marty, or anyone else that is in the loop.

I do have some issues with registration that I could use some help or advice on.

The first problem is that I have two T's listed in my OCF profile. I only wish to bring one but there seems to be no way to select only one. You can't delete a vehicle either.

For my folks OCF profile, they have their 1909 Touring listed from last year but wish to bring their 1915 English Station Omnibus instead this year. There is also no way to change or add a vehicle. Doesn't seem to make much sense as the online registration makes it so they can only have the exact same cars at the show this year as they did last year.

I have tried to contact OCF registration via email but have not gotten a reply. Not sure I don't have a valid email or they are just up to their eyeballs in work. Just getting a little nervous to get both registrations in.

Thanks

Tod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 08:58 am:

Todd, or anyone else for that matter. Kristi Best is the Supervisor of Registration. Her email is KristiB@thehenryford.org You could try that and ask her.

Lemme know if that worked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Sumner lapeer mi on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 10:50 am:

They are using a picture with my car in it on the old car festival site, and I received no invitation.
Les Sumner

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 11:00 am:

Here are some of my thoughts, and these are just that, my thoughts. Oh, about 3 years ago the Greenfield Village built a children's play area (quite large) next to the carousel ride. I think this takes away from the event in many ways! First, it was built on prime land for OCF display cars. There used to be '15, '16 & '17 cars displayed there. Maybe even more that those years! Now that greatly reduces space for participants! It seems it purpose is for parents to dump their young kids off to play at the playground. Wouldn't it be better to show the kids and help them explore and discover these historical vehicles? Isn't that what this event is all about? After all, the younger generations is to one day take over the care of our vehicles!
I don't believe the playground was necessary giving that there already was the carousel ride and Village Model T rides.
I now believe that the only way to curb vehicles is to limit the number of makes and models in a givin year. So, as to not have too many identical cars.
For those of you that have not been, I highly suggest you go even if you are not able to bring a car! You can meet new and old friends, discover many historical vehicles and buildings you have never seen before, and it will give you some background about the event before you are able to bring your car. There is so much to discover and I haven't even mentioned what's in the museum or the Piquette Plant!

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 02:33 pm:

I agree with Willis - I was kind of surprised when I saw the new play area going in. After all, isn't the whole purpose of the village - the historic houses/buildings, the Model T's, the village itself - to entertain and educate? Why distract from the intended purpose with a "play area"? There are plenty of free public parks that have play areas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 03:23 pm:

I agree. I was also surprised when the play area was put in. On that parcel we used to have 15 to 20 & maybe more cars displayed. Wouldn't you think they could have found space for the play area some where else?

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary....

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 03:53 pm:

The Henry Ford/Village is open many weeks of the year and the car people are in there two weekends so are we griping too much?? I really like the three event deal MR Elliott proposed!! The OCF is a evolving on going event so maybe things will work out.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Nikolajevs Dearborn, MI on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 04:12 pm:

This is Peters daughter Natalie. I get that there is less space because of the playground. But the truth is as a kid you have to burn off some energy and most attractions don't have much exercise. And you wouldn't want to be in a house with a kid bouncing off the walls. It is a really good thing to do when you're waiting for a line to go down like the carousel. So there are pros and cons. Thank you for reading what I have to say. -Natalie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 06:12 pm:

Thank you Natalie! We do need to keep that in mind.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration