A connundrum for Hal.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: A connundrum for Hal.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 09:15 am:

The block on my roadster project has severely eroded/corroded exhaust ports and welch plug holes, so I went looking for a replacement in my stash at the farm. Keep in mind that these are Canadian sourced.

The restored car I use for reference when working on mine has a block cast on Sept 13 with the letter A representing 1923. Mine was cast on Sept 28 A, just 15 days later. His engine number is C 5193xx and mine is C 5195xx, just 203 later. According to Bruce's black book, these engine numbers put them in late 1924, which is consistent with the early 1925 Australian build for these two cars. The long lag between casting and stamping is interesting in itself.

There is a real twist in the tail though. Block one from my stash was cast on Sept 14 A, just two weeks before my roadster block. Block two was cast on Sept 27 A, just ONE day before, and it is a good one.

But, these two blocks have the engine numbers,
C 4398xx and C 4197xx respectively, putting them into late 1923. The later cast one is stamped some 20,000 earlier.

Over to you Hal.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 09:21 am:

IT is important to remember that the casting date is the date the block was cast, the VIN number is the date the engine was completed and serialized. Using the attached Walkerville Canada stamping dates you can see what Ford of Canada did.

I would say that all those engines mentioned by you are close enough to the build date of the car. Pick the best one and move on. A block with good water ackets, no cracks, not needing valve seats, and good bolt holes is a blessing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 10:44 am:

This will not answer your question, but I have always wondered about "casting dates". IS the date on blocks the really the date it was cast. Or is it the date that the pattern was A. put into service or B. the date the pattern was last worked on? I find it hard to believe that Ford had someone every day shut down production and change the dates on all the patterns. Yes, they could have had two sets (set being all patterns used in a day) of patterns, but that would go to the worked on date thing. Just asking, Dan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 05:48 pm:

Must be so, Ford kept track of those barrel molds, the T-400 cylinder block was the foundation of the Model T, the motor wouldn't be worth a dime without a good cylinder block.

The crew for doing the cylinder block castings were composed of approx. 9 workmen to each crew, total of 13 crews, as in 1915 Ford Methods, 13 total core stations, each station producing one block at a time. One of those inspectors did the job of placing the i.d. plate, date symbols, into the molding machine. 13 plates needed each date. 13 machines. Each machine made 100 blocks a day, 1300 blocks total in a day!

Mass Production as we know!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 05:52 pm:

You can see in some of the castings an impression of a screw head on each end of the date code. That date plate was screwed to the pattern, and yes it was changed every day on every pattern. This was an important quality control step, it allowed bad batches to be isolated to a single date if they were discovered in a later process like machining or assembly operations.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration