Always use the proper Jack Stands

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Always use the proper Jack Stands
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Vagasky,Tucson on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 09:57 am:

Unless there is a tree nearby,(sic)
jackstands

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Vagasky,Tucson on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 10:09 am:

Sorry, can't resize......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 10:26 am:

Donald, I use a free download called IrfanView. It makes resizing pictures easy. Just a couple of clicks. Just google IrfanView for the free download. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Vagasky,Tucson on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 10:27 pm:

jackstands, see if this works, thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 12:28 am:

Whaddya mean ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 02:17 pm:

Look closely at Burger's picture. Find a larger one if you can. That truck is supported by the two 4x4 posts. A guy is sitting under it welding something near the fuel tank. The red box in front is an arc welder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Paul on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 02:22 pm:

Jeff,
Isn't this why they have Darwin Awards???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 02:27 pm:

Forklift

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 02:42 pm:

Years ago I went to look at a 1922 Buick screenside delivery truck. The widow was selling
the guy's cars after he was crushed under a 1960 Thunderbird that he had up on a jack without
stands, with the wheels off. The jack lowered the car of it's own accord and he had nothing
in place to keep it from going all the way to the floor.

A phrase I often like to use ... "nothing could go wrong here !" :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 05:15 pm:

While I don't recall reading it in a book anywhere, I use jack stands or I have also used 8 x 8 x something longer -- wooden blocks under the axles. I also chock the wheels if any of them are still on the ground. And then I grab a fender and shake the car a little. If I can easily knock it off the stands or blocks I don't get under it. At that point it still has the wheels on it -- lug nuts loosened a little if I plan to take them off.

Why so much bother? Because my Mother used to work as an accountant/book keeper at a Ford dealer. She was inside the office area when a car fell out in the service area. She heard the short scream all the way in the office. The worker was dead. Now a lot of the other things she told me about don't drive fast etc. may not have stuck with me during my teenage years. But that story is still with me when I work under a car.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 05:34 pm:

One of my many long-time favorite quotes (no idea who said it first).

"A smart man learns from his mistakes.
A man that does not learn from his mistakes is a fool.
A wise man learns from others' mistakes."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 05:38 pm:

I always use jack stands and make sure the car is steady and i am still cautious. I also use wheel chokes from HF. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 11:37 pm:

I understand production of three legged jack stands is no longer due to danger of tipping. I agree and don't use them anymore. I see some who post here still use them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 01:07 am:

When I use them, I make certain one leg is facing one leg of the other stand (on other side of the same location on vehicle) That way there is more stability, but yes, 4 legged is better!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 12:19 am:

If you use the original jack in a roadside emergency to change a tire, it is always a good idea to carry an 18" x 18" x 3/4" piece of plywood in the trunk or behind the seat for the jack to sit on to prevent it from sinking into the dirt or tipping over on uneven ground. Also, loosen the bolts before raising the jack. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 12:44 am:

It's those two-legged jack stands you gotta be careful with !

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration