Speaking of new parts quality or lack of!!!!!!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Speaking of new parts quality or lack of!!!!!!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 10:01 am:

Has anyone out there encountered any bad lifters that the vendors are supplying? I installed a complete set of oversized lifters with a new Stipe cam & with only about 800 miles on the engine developed a dead miss. Turns out no compression on one cylinder. Pulled the cam & lifters, one bad lifter & an engine full of cuttings! Cam was like new and all the other lifters were like new. There was no binding of the lifter or valve train. I'm running a Fronty head with proper valve springs & pressurized oiling system. My thought is this one lifter was not harden or not properly harden. Anyone have any thoughts?Bad lifterSame cylinder good lifter, no wearBad lifter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 10:12 am:

Sounds like more China trash.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 10:20 am:

The new lifters I received this winter all had a teat in the center that would have messed up the cam lobe. I had to face them on my valve machine. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 10:26 am:

Herm Kohnke, about 15 years ago now, did the short block for my '14. He returned the lifters I'd sent with the block, saying they were no good. He went on to explain that there were two manufacturers of adjustable lifters for the T; one make was good and the other wasn't. The same firms probably also make the solid types. Herm explained the difference and how to identify which make was which, but like an idiot I didn't write it down; I thought I'd remember. I do know that I've had no trouble whatever with the ones he supplied. Maybe Herm can chime in here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 10:53 am:

How do we get the parts vendors to state who made the part?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 11:19 am:

I have had the same new part fail. When i had the engine built the re-builder that only builds model T engines said the lifters damaged the cam shaft. I haven't had these same troubles with model A engine parts. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 11:22 am:

I have had this on model A suspension parts!Such as a spring that lost its tension, the front spring perch snapped driving down the road ect. All after a major restoration. Most of the parts are not the best quality but the old stuff is worn out after near a 100 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 11:30 am:

I would think that if the parts vendors care about their reputations and their customers satisfaction (some do, some don't), they would want to hear about these problems so they can address the issues with their suppliers rather than continuing to provide parts that are trash. YMMV.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 01:09 pm:

Seen this happen a few times. There was a batch of them made years ago that were no good. I no longer trust sets of lifters from swap meets or other unknown sources. I only use new lifters from the best vendors. Especially with overheads. Even with the correct springs, the ratio of the rocker arms put heavier stress on the cam and lifters. For these I use 292 Ford lifters with a cup for the pushrod.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 03:41 pm:

Erik,

For what it's worth, I used those 292 lifters in my Model N rebuild. Once the cup is just ground away, they're the perfect length. All the other dimensions are the same as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 03:57 pm:

The 292 lifters are .500", so you have to ream out the block to use them in a T. At that point, the block is committed to overhead valves or other large diameter lifters for a flathead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 05:40 pm:

What vendor supplied the bad lifters? This isn't for vendor bashing, I need a set and want to avoid the same issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 06:07 pm:

I'm not sure where the bad ones came from, but I can say the ones I use from Lang's and Snyder's are good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 06:15 pm:

Bob Richmon - Can you tell us where you got your lifters and how long ago?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration