1914 Jno Brown carbide generator

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1914 Jno Brown carbide generator
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim magill on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 07:15 pm:

I have a 1914 touring with jno brown lights, it has a prestolite tank on it now, does anyone know for sure how to identify a jno brown carbide generator, or can post a picture of a known one for 1914. thanks Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Drew Wommack - Dallas, TX on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 07:21 pm:

See if this helps you: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/629126.html?1459469185

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim magill on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 07:59 pm:

Thanks Drew, I guess I missed that one when it was posted as I look for anything 1914 Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 09:31 am:

Browns, E&J, and Corcorans were apparently all made by the same company, but the Corcorans have the bead around the middle of the bottom half, but I think all the parts are interchangeable. Correct me if I'm wrong!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 10:21 am:

Larry, that's interesting. I don't know steel generators as well, but I always found it confusing that, during that time, both Corcorans and Browns use what I could call a Corcoran style clamp whereas earlier Browns had their own specific type wing nut.

There are substantial differences on the earlier brass generators, though one thing that I found odd is they all seem to have had identical stamped bottoms ribbed with concentric circles. It had me thinking that maybe the various lamp manufacturers spec'ed what they wanted for hardware design, but subbed out to a common manufacturer specializing in generators that was making them for everybody and they used the same bottom stamping for all of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim magill on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 07:59 am:

Okay, I am still confused. In the thread above Royce posted a picture of a generator that he said was a brown possibly, it had a bead in the middle of the bottom half, But Larry posted that the corcorans had that. Larry also said that the generators was apparently made by the same company, If that is the case were the generators sent to the light companies to be sold as a set or sent to Ford to be installed randomly

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 08:17 am:

I believe the Corcorans did not have the bead around the middle but straight sides,at the base the Corcoran had a wider band around the bottom. I'll take pictures of the 3 major steel types and the 4 styles later today and post here. I love this discussion. Here's a question to peruse, Is there documentation of a combination generator with a brass water tank and steel base or vice versa for 13/14?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 10:28 am:

I once had a Victor generator that had a good water cap on it, so I put it on the Brown. It fit perfectly. The Victor had a bead around the vent hole, and the Brown did not. I have noticed many of the tank gaskets are bad, so we made some. Haven't had a chance to try one on a working generator, but we finally got one to fit. What I don't know is if the gasket was contoured, or if it was flat? We came up with a flat one, and it fits. It was a job making them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 08:38 pm:

So for your fun in the first picture are left to right top picture:
Corcoran, early E&J water tank, E&J, early Victor, Victor
Next Picture:
Late Victor, Early Victor, Jno Brown, Corcoran, Corcoran
Next Picture:
Close up of late Victor and early Victor note the brass components in the early one and the water tank is not embossed with the company name in the steel part but on the brass gauge plate. The early Victor is NOS as well as the Corcoran with the tag on it.
With the exception of the early E&J water tank all of these have a home with there respective vehicles. I do need the bottom half of the early E&J. This is the bottom that has the more ornate pull down levers. If you have one let me know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 11:12 pm:

John,

I seem to have an early Victor without the embossed steel top tank but the "Pat. Applied For" on the brass gauge plate. It is NOS.

An interesting thing about the black & brass generators is the bottom tanks.

The Victor I have is a steel cylinder without seams, the Corcoran has a vertical side seam and the John Brown has a circumferential seam.

Does the E&J look just like the John Brown?

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim magill on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 09:32 am:

Thanks John for posting those great pictures, now I know what to look for. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 10:42 am:

Question for John -- what kind of bottoms do they have as shown from underneath? Are they all stamped concentric ribs, did that change by the steel era, are there plain ones, so on and so forth.

Thanks for showing such a variety.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 10:11 pm:

I had a very thick O ring made for mine that worked very well! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 08:57 am:

The seal on my NOS B&B Victor seems to be a rubberized coating inside the rim of the top tank where it meets the lower tank. It appears to have been brushed on originally but still gas tight even today.

To summarize what appears in this thread (and correct/add to if in error):

BLACK & BRASS GENERATORS

VICTOR B&B GENERATORS
The Victor generators are the easiest to identify because of their unique "hook" style water control valve, smooth water tank top, down locking tank latches and seamless lower tank made of steel tube.

They come in three known variations as discussed by John above; early, transitional and late. The "late" version as shown above by John is the only one that displays the manufacturer marking "Victor Lamp Co." embossment on the top water tank.

CORCORAN B&B GENERATORS
The Corcoran generators are easily identified by the lower tank which has a vertical side seam near the gas supply tube. They use tank latches that close by clockwise cam action. These same style latches seem to be like those used by the John Brown generator.

They share the dimpled style water top tank like the John Browns but have a concentric ring stamped lower inside tank bottom. No manufacturer marking anywhere on them.

JOHN BROWN B&B GENERATOR
The John Brown generators are easily identified by the circumferential lower tank seam. They use the same style clockwise cam action latches and dimpled top water tank as the Corcorans. The inside lower tank bottom is smooth. No manufacturer markings anywhere on them.

E&J B&B GENERATOR
All we have so far is that they look like the John Browns.

John - Are any of the top water tanks interchangeable between the B&B Victor, Corcoran and John Brown lower tank bottoms? I see tops and bottoms on ebay every once in a while and was just curious. Same question on the baskets?

Interesting thread and a help for those trying to put together a functional gas light system on their '13/'14 Model T as well as the earlier cars. John please write an article about generators '09 through '14 for our magazine.

Ken in Texas

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration