Smooth Clear headlight lense?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Smooth Clear headlight lense?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 08:01 pm:

I just picked up a pile of T parts a guy had out in the trees. In it was a headlight with a clear smooth lens. Any info on this lens? Haven't seen one like this before. The body parts with it are early 20s maybe. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 08:13 pm:

I believe clear smooth lenses are common to brass era cars. Later on many states required lenses that would angle down the light or required color pieces on top in order to not blind oncoming drivers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 08:43 pm:

Per the MTFCA encyclopedia (paraphrased):

"Headlamp lenses were clear glass until 1921."

"Early in 1921 the clear lens was replaced with a clear lens with a green “visor”

"About June 1921 the Ford “H” fluted lens became standard"

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 08:47 pm:

Plain lenses in use from '15 to '20. Longer than one would suspect!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 08:55 pm:

My '18 TT had one regular fluted "H" lens and one clear lens. The clear one was just a round cut piece of what appeared to be window pane glass. It was crudely cut with numerous chips on the cut edge. It was always my opinion that somewhere along the way it was someones' cheap fix.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 12:07 am:

Henry, that's just how this lens looks. I thought it was home made. Thanks for the info guys, PK.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration