Accessory of the day? Unusual heated intake manifold.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Accessory of the day? Unusual heated intake manifold.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 09:15 pm:

A local guy I bought some T parts from has this. I don't own it, but thought it was unusual.

It appears that there is a chamber to burn fuel that preheats the intake manifold for cold starts?

There is no brand name, only "patent applied for"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 10:49 pm:

If it comes up for sale I'd like to be on the list.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 08:53 am:

Never seen anything like it, what's up with the spark plug in the side? Ignite the mixture before it even gets to the cylinders????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 09:07 am:

See: http://www.google.co.uk/patents/US1473136

1923 Packard Motor Car Patent.

This invention relates to hydrocarbon motors and particularly to means for heating the mixture passing to the motor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 12:56 pm:

Could be good for the "Paris" flex fuel thing!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 10:47 am:

Looks to me like a very early attempt at something like Smokey Yunick's hot vapor engine concept to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 01:25 pm:

Would a spark plug work to ignite a puddle of kerosene? I'm thinking this thing may have been intended to preheat the manifold so you could cold-start a car on kerosene. Any other ideas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 01:42 pm:

Is it a spark plug or a glow plug used as a manifold heater? A spark plug in that location would cause a "kaboom" event that would not be too useful or repeatable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 01:49 pm:

The intake tube runs through the heating chamber so the intake gasses are heated but would not be in direct contact with the open flame. There is a sight glass on the side so you can see the fire, and a separate fuel inlet into the heater.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 02:39 pm:

Any names on it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 02:43 pm:

Maybe allows you to burn kerosene with the use of a preheater? Makes more sense to burn some kerosene in the preheat chamber than to ignite gasoline.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 03:34 pm:

It just says "Patent applied for". No brand name

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration