Being stupid is this for lives?????

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Being stupid is this for lives?????
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 05:46 am:

I was rebuilding three coils and needed to fill the boxes with tar.
As it were only three it should be quick to fill them so I took not the time to put on my gloves.

This what happend:

A block of un-melted tar felt over.

Just be care full !!!! I will next time.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 06:13 am:

Andre, sometimes, next time won't be around. We all need to have more diligence in being safe. We have huge safety initiatives at work--but even so, I find anytime I get hurt, it is outside of work.

My last two incidents were falling off a ladder a couple steps from the bottom and landing on my back and getting a piece of metal in my eye (second time for that). I also, thinking back reflecting, any injuries whether minor or more major are a result of me being in a hurry and not paying attention as much as I should.

Sometimes we only get one shot to be safe, because there may not be a next time. Be careful out there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 02:59 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 04:12 pm:

what would happen if instead of tar I use RTV silicone? Is it conductive?
Has it been tried?
It is harder to get out the next time the capacitor has to be changed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 04:28 pm:

Andre,

I'm sorry that happened to you. Thank you for sharing it, to remind us put the odds in our favor.

I would agree with Chad, most of my accidents have been when I was in a hurry or someone else was in a hurry and their accident involved me.

While we cannot remove all risk, we can make it reasonable and in our favor.

As Mark Twain once remarked it is better to be cautious a thousand times than dead once.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By don ellis on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 05:54 pm:

How did you get all the tar out to start with?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 06:26 pm:

I like what Mark Twain said!

Unfortunately, society no longer teaches most people that most of their own safety is their own responsibility. Therefore they grow up believing that their safety is always somebody else's responsibility. They never do learn to look for potential danger and protect themselves.

Not making light of Andre V's current issue. In fact I would like to thank him for this thread! We ALL need a reminder now and again. I myself right now have a very small (but third degree) burn on the back of one finger. Amazing how hot glowing red steel is. And all I did was barely back the back of my finger knuckle into it. Yes, we ALL need a reminder once in awhile.
Feel better fast my friend!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 06:40 pm:

Alan F,
Silicon has been used. And it has worked fine. But it is NOT recommended. Something to do with the silicon attracting water from the air. I have seen corrosion problems connected with using silicon like that.
Then there is also the difficulty later if you have to do any additional repairs inside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 07:02 pm:

Here is a series of videos on coil rebuilding that shows the whole process, including tar removal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhaxW3jaG0Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br78FzWKlV8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZH0QNwB0rM

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 07:06 pm:

I subscribed for years to FINE WOODWORKING MAGAZINE and they asked readers to please write in and tell them if they had ever been hurt doing wood working and how it happened. There were some very serious accidents reported but the one thing that seemed almost universal was the people who wrote in said that just before they got hurt they had a premonition that what they were doing was NOT safe and they ignored that thought to their great regret. I learned from that. When I get a thought that what I am doing is unsafe - I LISTEN to that thought.

"Smart people learn from other people's mistakes while fools learn from their own." Not sure who said it but I have heard it many times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 01:05 am:

Thanks All,

The tread just went were I want it to go.
This was a small accident but it could be worse.
The reason why it happened was: I didn't take the time to do it right and save. The gloves were just 50cm on the left.
In on of the videos the man said something that is so right:
"If you think you are to slow, just slow down."

As John said: " Smart people learn from other people's mistakes while fools learn from their own."
Most of the time I am with the smart people and I steal with my eyes but this time I was the fool.

Some of you asked questions about the way I clean and rebuild the coils, I will start an other tread to answer these questions.

Just take care and keep it safe.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 11:19 am:

Andre or anyone else doing coils;
Put masking tape over the groove that the cover slides into and edges of the box. This will keep the tar out and off. Pull the tape off after the tar is pored in. Saves cleaning the groove out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 11:56 am:

Mark,
usually I put tape over the grooves and the side.
This time I was in a hurry and I didn't. Finally it took more time with the short cuts as if I had took my time to do it right. It is as in one of the Youtude videos. "If you think you are slow just slow down".

Keep it safe.
Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 01:20 pm:

Just out of curiosity, Andre, what are the Dutch words for the "coil" and "timer" of a Model T? Are the words the same in Belgium and in NL?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 01:23 pm:

Bobijn en verdeler.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 02:17 pm:

Dick ;
In het nederlands : Bobine en verdeler
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 02:31 pm:

OK, u guys. LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 03:09 pm:

Andre and Toon, Churchill once commented that England and the United States are two countries divided by a common language. I sometimes think that the same could be said of Belgium and NL (although bobijn/bobine isn't too big a stretch). :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration