Outside oil line?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Outside oil line?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Woods on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 07:58 am:

Hello I recently picked up a '23 touring that has been sitting for 30 years and I am in the process of getting it ready to start the engine. In the process of leaning more about the car I visited a friend with a '23 and noticed he his car has an external oil line that he told me was upgrade to a larger diameter.
I inspected my '23 engine but I do not see any external oil line of any kind. Was this an option or aftermarket? Do all engines have this? If I do not have this line should I add it? If so is there a difference between the internal and external line?

Thanks for any thoughts here.

David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 08:18 am:

The outside oil line was a period aftermarket upgrade that is a good idea, so they're still made and used. When the internal oil line is clean and when you drive on level roads, no accessory is needed, but if you drive a lot uphill on steep grades and if the internal oil line gets clogged (can happen when cotton band lining wears and clogs the almost inaccessible oil funnel) then an accessory oil line can save the rod bearings :-)

You can check if your oil line delivers oil to the front of the engine - just have the engine running while standing still and remove one of the front bolts for the inspection lid in the oil pan under the connecting rods. Put a bowl under. A working internal oil distribution pipe should manifest itself by a dribble from the bolt hole. No oil or very little, and you may have a clogged oil line? The front end of the pipe can be accessed through the inspection lid and blown clean with compressed air (with some difficulty)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 08:25 am:

David, it's an excellent improvement to your engine's lubrication system.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 08:28 am:

Outside oil lines are aftermarket, styles still made today. The outside line assists the single internal oil line to get oil to the front of the motor, where it flows into the dip tray and back to the crankcase sump.

The easy one to install is the kind that replaces the magneto post, as with any reproduction, you have to re-fit the post to be sure you have electrical contact. Bending the tubing to get to the special bolt supplied to be the fitting at the front of the block.

With only the Ford single line, risk can be present, esp. from clogging. Adding an oil screen filter to the hogshead inspection cover is a good plan too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Woods on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 09:23 am:

Great thanks for the info and explanation. This is a bolt on kit correct or does it require drilling of any modification in the front? I did see a large volume line kit from Texas T's but looked like the hogs head had to get a hole drilled in it.

Thanks again!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 09:29 am:

David, the extra oil line which runs from the magneto pickup to the front of the pan is bolt on fit. No drilling involved.

Hope this helps.
allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 09:35 am:

The high volume kit is the most effective one, but I woldn't want to install it unless I had other reasons to pull the hogs head. The repro magneto plug kit gives less oil but is easy to mount without any modifications - a special drilled bolt replaces one of the original bolts in the front of the engine.

You may want to check a magneto plug oil line so it really gives oil. First fasten it and run the engine until the oil is warm and loosen the front end of the pipe - start the engine and check flow with a bowl under. Should give a dribble at idle and some flow at higher rpms. If no good, check the fit of the pipe in the magneto plug end - maybe flow can be improved there?

https://www.modeltford.com/item/3082OL.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 11:50 am:

Here is a good way to get oil to the timing gears.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Woods on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 09:42 pm:

Great thank everyone for the info. I will be adding external line.
I still need to inspect the bands so kind of like the idea of the large flow line.

David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 02:53 am:

You can inspect the bands through the inspection lid without lifting the hogshead, it's only if you need to change the bands and if you have the non detachable ear version that you'll need to lift the hogshead. (Though it's not so easy through the small inspection lid with detachable ears either..)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 03:27 am:

The car we Derrick Pangs had an orig. acces out side oiler. Used a good size pipe too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 09:26 am:

Interesting white tip treatment on the fan blades. A visual help to keep the fingers away, or just decoration? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 01:25 am:

Derrick Pang and I gave up on Martin Vowell's artistic license. As long as it was tasteful and not purple. We'll let him have his way (damned artistic types lol)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 01:38 am:

George, do you know the size of the outside oil Line on Derrick Pang's car? It sure looks a good bit larger than the ones I have seen around. Can that be fit on the standard kits sold by the vendors?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 11:21 am:

I have Outside oil lines on all of my T's. Only one uses the mag type oil line. Last night I was driving the T with the mag type oil line home from work, and swung by my Moms house to deliver some T parts. I noticed a large volume of oil under the chassis when I went to leave. Lifting the hood, I observed the outside oil line had broken. I was lucky to catch the problem before it pumped all the oil out of the crankcase. The amount of oil still in the pan wouldn't come out of the lower petcock. My plan today is to remove the copper outside line and replace it with steel.

(Message edited by mikerobison on June 07, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 12:24 pm:

I do not have the coil ring in my speedster. The outside oil line on the mag post loosened and dropped into the tranny. You can still still the oil trail in the street. They had to tow me home and luckily all the pieces dropped to the bottom of the pan and I got them out the oil drain hole. You need that post on the coil ring to keep the mag post in place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Skille on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 06:29 pm:

Has anyone run the internal oil line, accessory that Lang's has in there catalog. It is inside the engine pan and held in place by the bolts for any 3 or 4 dip pan lower cover. It supplies oil from the flywheel to the front of the engine. Seems as if it might be worth a try. Don't have to worry about a broken outside oil line.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 08:10 pm:

I'm not crazy about copper oil lines. The will work harden under vibration and crack. Unless you can ball and a dime on the head bolt I would use steel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 08:11 pm:

I ment balance a dime.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 02:50 am:

Eric Sole, not off the top of my head, I'll find out tomorrow. Richard Moore has a good thought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 03:07 am:

Eric Sole, it was a 3/8 copper line we bought. Had to also buy all the fittings and ferrel's for it too.

And yes the silver tips on the fan are to help you see it in poor lighting or dark. Did to mine after my dad deflected one of the blades off his knuckle into my brand new Walker radiator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 11:51 am:

Outstanding idea on the fan blades. Man I love this forum.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration