Questions about installing rear spring clamps

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Questions about installing rear spring clamps
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Goodheart, Edwards, NY on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 09:36 am:

The new spring clamps have a small projection in the center. Is this projection the only part that rides against the spring leaf? The old ones didn't have this. Picture posted.
How many leaves is the clamp supposed to hold, I am thinking 4?
Does the bolt go across the top or bottom of the leaves?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 09:39 am:

Usually there are holes in one of the leaves where the folded piece goes to fix the clamps sideways on the spring. If not fixed, they'll move and end up out by the spring ends. The bolts goes across the bottom of the spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Goodheart, Edwards, NY on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 11:47 am:

I don't have a leaf with a hole in it. I can drill one or is that spring steel too hard?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 12:47 pm:

Hmm, you should have one leaf with the holes in it, or with curled ends that the bolt went through--in that case, the U part has no projection. What year is your car? maybe you are missing a leaf??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Goodheart, Edwards, NY on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 03:05 pm:

It is a touring, Engine is 1919 non starter. I don't know if suspension is same year as the engine. Actually there is one leaf with curled ends, similar to the bottom one but a lot smaller curl. Should the clamp bolt go through this? If so, the bolt would have to be on the top. I am guilty of not taking a picture before I took it apart about a year ago

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 03:22 pm:

Here is a pic (found elsewhere on the forum) of a spring pack with clamp where the clamp bolt goes through the curled end of one spring.

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 03:29 pm:

Typical later 'clip leaf' spring, that is leaf with nipped off sides, uses that kind of clamp, the little tab fits to a hole in the leaf that holds the clamp.

The earlier 'taper leaf' springs, that is leaf is beveled almost flat, feature a leaf with a small rolled end, that holds the clamp in reverse, bolt up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 03:34 pm:

If you have a curl leaf spring, you'll have to grind off the tabs on the clamps - then they'll hopefully fit with the bolts through the curls :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Goodheart, Edwards, NY on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 04:36 pm:

Now I know what to do. Thanks to everyone for all your help and interest. The people on this forum are always ready to share their knowledge with newbies like me.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration