Chaffin's Garage

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Chaffin's Garage
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Reed on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 05:05 pm:

Just received my order of parts and a catalogue. Glen you have out done yourself! The catalogue is superb! Great illustrations! Thanks for your contributions to the hobby!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 06:13 pm:

I also received my order of Ruckstell parts from Chaffin's that included one of their new catalogs. It is really well done and will now be my main parts reference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 06:17 pm:

Chaffin's Garage is Top Notch as far as I'm concerned! Always a pleasure to deal with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 06:57 pm:

I noticed Chaffins seems to be a little more pricey than Langs or Snyders. Just wondering, are the parts from there different, better? or is it just the catalogue everyone is raving about

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 07:35 pm:

Doug, The good news is that as a hobby we have multiple places to buy from giving us the choice to spend where we feel the most comfortable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 07:52 pm:

Point taken, I'll buy from the cheaper supplier if the parts are all the same

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 08:07 pm:

Doug the point may be sort of incorrect.

Chaffin makes many of their own parts locally. Some of their parts are available at other vendors and they also source some parts from other vendors. In some cases there is a noticeable difference.
It's simple to call and ask, Your on the East coast so it may be easier to buy from a local supplier but that doesn't mean cheaper or better.

I don't mind paying a few cents more just because I like Glen's new catalogue.

Buyer Beware

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 08:17 pm:

For me Chaffin is Number 1. Doug, because of shipping, Lang's is probably a better choice for you. I'll bet that Chaffin's price reflects a price increase that will soon be upon us from everyone. Beside all that, Chaffin has Dave who is a technical expert on the T and willing to help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 08:37 pm:

OK Thanks guys. I'm kinda new to this and I'm still sorting out this whole parts issue. This forum is superb!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 12:10 am:

Prices do vary from catalogue to catalogue. There are at least two reasons why. First is quality of the part. If There are more than one source for the part we always choose the best quality. That means that the price may be a little more but your not buying junk. Second is the source. If you manufacture the part you will have the best price for that part. There is not a lot of discount buying wholesale in the hobby, so many dealers have to mark up the price of the part to make a profit. That is why their price is a little higher. Then, Shipping product to your store eats in to the profit real fast. But what ever the case the dealers try to keep the price as low as possible. This is not a get rich fast hobby business. In fact I do not even pay myself a salary. After paying the help there is not much left over to pay yourself. Instead we put the remaining profit back into developing and manufacturing new parts for the hobby, that is our reward, growing the business. So don't complain about prices. The price of Model T parts is much cheaper than for modern cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 12:45 am:

He He, Glen is right. Since I started a Model A project I have found that the price of Model T parts is much cheaper than Modern A parts!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Bohlen on Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 09:52 am:

Antique T Motor Sports, I have known Glen for 50 years. He has put many years in making parts for the hobby so people can enjoy. One thing that has not been addressed is where the parts are made. Glen has all his parts made right here in the U.S not the offshore junk. We at Antique T Motor Sports also use local casters and machinist many of them are retired in their field. A long with Glen we try to keep the price down, many times not raising the price when supplies increase.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 12:14 pm:

And Glen manages to make a lot of those parts right here in Cailifunny--trust me, not an easy thing to do, especially if it calls for casting metal!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 02:11 pm:

Good parts aren't cheap, cheap parts aren't good. USA made parts gets my $. Worth the price to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 02:16 pm:

Good parts aren't cheap, cheap parts aren't good. USA made parts gets my $. Worth the price to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 02:35 pm:

Over the years, I've kinda learned that there are two ways to buy anything; price and value.

For me, I Have found it is to my advantage to buy my T parts from Glen, First, I find the best value at Chaffins; that is, good price, high quality. Second, when I call Chaffins, I know I'm speaking directly to the Model T experts. Dave spends the time to understand what I'm trying to do before he will sell me anything. His technical advice has, on several occasions, redirected my decision even if it means a lost sale to him.

I sure other vendors offer similar services, if you seek them out, but I've also learned over the years that price shopping alone seldom works out to my advantage. Just my humble opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 03:32 pm:

I like buying the model T parts they are cheaper than the model A stuff. I have purchased a lot of A models stuff in the past years but the T model parts seem to be a better quality reproduction as a whole. Just my opinion. I have had more than my share of junk A model repo parts. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 08:10 pm:

Dave you are right cheap parts aren't good I totally agree, that was my whole reason for replying to this post. If Chaffins sells a better quality part you would be a fool to buy from anyone else. That's why I was asking if the parts are all the same from all these parts suppliers. Didn't know they manufacture the parts in house

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 10:51 pm:

Paul Mikeska.......on the Model A subject, but relevant to this thread, I ordered a bunch of parts I needed for the '29 Model A I had but won't mention from whom.
At any rate while chatting with the seller he said "We all get our parts from the same places".
I took him at face value but learned they do NOT get all their parts from the same places.
Amongst the items I needed were Two-Lite headlight sockets.
When I got them I thought they were somewhat chintzy and the wire shield conduits didn't fit worth a rip either.
After having little success with the sockets I ordered another pair from Snyder's.
When THEY arrived they were of MUCH better quality so, yes, the vendor from whom you buy CAN make a difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 11:23 pm:

Glen,

It seems (in the main) T people are the cheapest SOB's, spare the Studebaker crowd. These
cheapskates have no idea how a single piece of side trim for a late 50's car might cost into four
figures and want to crab about a few bucks here and there on relatively inexpensive stuff. Stick
to your guns. High quality always wins out over cheap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 11:52 pm:

I personally think all of the vendors should be commended for selling parts and pieces that us new to the Model T community just can't go out and get from our stash, and replace when something breaks. If it weren't for the vendors, i would spend more time looking for parts than actually driving my T. Are there some crappy repop parts out there?..Yes indeed, but it seems like after a few comments here, they sort out the problem and we all move on, the way it should be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 06:54 pm:

I have one part that we make overseas. The 2511AS Inner Seals. Fortunately, we have a good supplier that makes a quality product. But that cannot be said for most products made there. That is why we make all of our other products locally. That way we can shop both price and quality. We have searched hard to find both foundries and a machine shop that will give us both quality and a good price. We are fortunate to have found both. This enables us to provide you with a part that is both a quality part and priced reasonably. We are constantly adding new parts tour line and sell to all the major dealers. So, in answer to the original question, no, the parts are not all the same and they do not all come from the same source. There is a big variable in both source, quality and and price. But, you don't always get what you pay for as there is a lot of expensive junk out there. So be careful to ask a lot of questions before buying. That is exactly why we photographed each and every part we sell for our new catalogue. That way you can see exactly what you are getting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 09:00 pm:

Glen, thank you for your response. Your tenacious attitude is amazing. And I will be buying from you in the future

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 04:39 pm:

Thank you Glen, the catalog is great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 08:16 pm:

Dave, If you want to see it in color just log on to our web site chaffinsgarage.com.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 09:05 pm:

Glen, nice online catalog! Really clear close in color shots of the parts, really easy to identify and see what they are. Only trouble is the white background makes some of the definition hard to see, but even so, I love the clean and clear pictures.
Hmmm, going to have to visit your catalog a lot when trying to figure out what parts look, the inclusion of the Ford Catalog pages helps too. You can see the original parts along with the repro parts, which is a great help. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 01:22 am:

Can you get a hard copy of this catalog?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 01:36 am:

Yes, you can. Call (951) 371-2367.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 08:56 pm:

Nice House. Wish it was mine. Ha!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach, CA on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 07:46 pm:

Me too, Glen. Whoever owns it must be a real class act. ;)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration