Band ear removal

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Band ear removal
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bryan Grube on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 09:07 pm:

Hello,
I'm trying to get my removable band ear off the band while the band is in the car so I can pull it out. I read in the service manual to bend a screwdriver over 1/4 inch and use that to pry up to all the ear to slide off its rivits.
Where do I place the screwdriver on the ear to make this happen? The book says "at the end". Is that the end of the band where band meets the ear?

There seems to be lots of info on this band topic, but this detail seems to be left out. I've never taken an ear off a band out of the car so I don't know how much prying force to put to it or exactly where. Is there any chance of the tip breaking off and falling into the transmission ?

This is probably a really dumb question but I've broken two tips off trying to bend the screwdriver I don't want that to haapen in the transmission. I'm going over to my dads in the morning and use a torch to bend it again, my little map torch doesn't have enough heat to make it red hot.

Sorry for the long post- frustrated
Bryan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 09:53 pm:

If you look in service manual,there is a pretty good picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 10:18 pm:

Bryan, up front, I do not use detachable ear bands, so these are observations only. The end of the detachable ear has a lip which snaps down over the end of the steel band. It is this lip which needs to be manipulated to slide the band ear back off the band. The band needs to be bent towards the drum so the ear can be pulled back. A screwdriver between the band ear and the band may give you the result you are looking for.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, June 03, 2016 - 10:51 pm:

To release the ear from the back, you lever back against the ear. There is a small hole in the band just in front of the ear. Insert a bent tool, bent screwdriver tip works.

Lever the ear lips up off the end of the band, and at the same time the ear will slip back off its rivet posts or slot arms, depending on the type of ear.

Types of Ford ears, but there are other ones too.

Bent tip screwdriver useful.

The red arrow shows where to place the bent tip to lever. Note the small square of Kevlar showing thru the hole, that is the little square hole to insert the bent tip and lever back against the ear to remove. Take care, the ear will detach and fall into the trans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 11:25 am:

Check the ear, it could be one of the types that have the twist type locks (aftermarket). You need to twist the lock before you can pop off the ear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bryan Grube on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 09:01 pm:

Dan, thank you so much for the pictures that helped so much. I have the new material on the band and am attempting to put it back in the car. The other two bands look fine I'm leaving them alone. I'm trying to use this band changing tool made of spring steel with a wooden handle. I see where it clips to my band lug. For the life of me I can't see where this tool will let me just pull the band around. Looks like a fair amount of manipulation will be required. It certainly was in order to get the old one out.

All it has succeeded to do is flig oil all over the car when removing it. Do I need to use it or can I just shove the band around the drum? It bends at a strange angle where it attaches, I'm afraid the spring steel will snap and fall into the transmission.

Thanks Bryan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 09:16 pm:

The angled screwdriver is only used to install the bands,at least by me. A regular screwdriver will help detach the clip from the band when placed near the end of the band between the forks on the clip. A quick flip to the left will make the clip slide to the left and then lift off. Much easier to watch than explain, sorry.
The angled screwdriver will help fish the other end of the band when it slips down the right side of the hogs head when reinstalling, at least that's my experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 10:00 pm:

Quite honestly I rarely use the band changing tool with the long band and wood handle. They are useful when working with hot bands during a drive but not in the garage. The biggest problem for me is stopping the front band riding up over the lip on the reverse drum. Just have to work at it...
My favourate tool is a little tool that holds the nut and washer when reinstalling the band. They use to be available at suppliers but I guess the guy who made them had passed. With my hand problems, it is invaluable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 10:57 am:

The nut and washer tool holding is still available:

https://www.modeltford.com/item/3416TNW.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 03:52 pm:

Don Snyder told me the story I recounted above. The nut and washer tool might still be available and it is one thing Model T tool that is not a gimmick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 04:06 pm:

I just checked Snyder web site and they are there.
T-3419-T $25.00 / ea.
1909-27
Highly recommended.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bryan Grube on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 07:08 pm:

Alright Tony, I'll forget the tool. I'm having the same problem, the band is getting stuck on the reverse band when coming around

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bryan Grube on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 09:27 am:

thank you everyone for the help. The car is back together and stops a whole lot better now!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration