Being stupid .... a few answers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Being stupid .... a few answers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 01:45 am:

Hello again,

As promised in an other tread here a few answers about the way I do coils.

First I use tar to refill the coils for two reasons:
First: it is easy to melt and pour it back in and it will float everywhere in the box.
Second: and most important is the hot tar take all the moister out of the coil.

The Coils I was rebuilding looked like this when I started:

And No I did not rebuild them all. Two had an open secondary coil, one of these coils had just a broken connection in a contact point.
As the boxes were not solid, I took them apart and build three good boxes out of the four and cleaned them up.

To take off all the tar from the coils:
Most of the tar was brittle and felt off easily, for the rest I took a hot air gun paint stripper.
The final cleaning is done with cellulose thinner.

After the cleaning, the needed repairs were made and the coils tested.

Now the reassemble can be started.

After cooling down they were tested and set right on my home made HCCT and ready to serve again.

Next time I will ask my favorite helper to assist again, it will be safer I think.

Questions??

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 03:11 am:

Wonderful post of your coil rebuilding. It looks to me like you do it right. It already looks like your favorite helper is doing most of the work! (Just be especially careful with safety for your assistant!)
Thank you again for sharing.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration