Old Photo - WW1 Era Ford

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - WW1 Era Ford
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 09:26 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 09:30 am:

Nice picture of an early TT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 03:24 pm:

What great picture of the T and look how military dress has changed.. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 03:57 pm:

Another great photo Jay!

That rear fender is interesting. Looks "factory-made", but I don't really remember ever seeing a fender quite like that on a "TT". Maybe somebody manufactured those fenders just for military vehicles?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 06:28 pm:

Very interesting truck. It could even be one of the few actual 1917 built trucks. But I doubt it. The picture isn't clear enough to see fine detail, but I think it looks like it has the combination twist/push horn/light switch on the column. I am not sure, but I think the few first TT trucks had the earlier top-of-the-column horn button.
Again, something I cannot see for sure, but I think it may have the over-axle wishbone. I would expect this to probably be a 1918 or possibly '19 TT.
I do wish the details were more clear in it, but this is a great era photo!
Thank you Jay!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 06:33 pm:

Only three TTs were built in calendar 1917. I doubt if any of those left Detroit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 06:47 pm:

Erik J, I had heard it was seven, also read once that it was five. All I know for sure is that I have seen at least a dozen of the '17 TTs for sale.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 07:23 pm:

No such thing as a 1917 TT.

According to Bruce's black book, page 231, only three TTs were produced in calendar 1917 and they were 1918 models. This same information is reiterated in the online encyclopedia on the MTFCA.com website. I presume because they were considered 1918 models, they were produced sometime between August 1, 1917 and December 31, 1917; however, Bruce does not provide any specifics.

I doubt those three trucks ever left the possession of the Ford Motor Company.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 07:38 pm:

Big rear wheels and solid tyres indicate to me it is fitted with one of the optional chain drive truck conversions offered before the factory TT. Perhaps a "Smiths Form-A-Truck" ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 09:01 pm:

I won't argue with you Erik J, in fact, I think you are correct. I was joking when I commented to having seen "at least a dozen of the '17 TTs for sale". I have probably seen more than a couple dozen of them. It is a verified fact, that in 1907, Sears had TWO prototype automobiles built. Actual production began late in 1908, and like early model Ts, are sometimes referred to as "1908", however, they really should be called 1909 models. Yet, over the years, at least five Sears automobiles have been listed in the rosters as "1907" models. A "memory error" published in several books back in the '50s incorrectly dated the cars as "1907" and they have been called that ever since. Just like the TT listed on eBad last week as a 1913, many Sears Automobiles used to and still do get claimed as even earlier than 1907.
Great photo! Thanks all!
DC,aE, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 10:59 pm:

It is said that throughout his lifetime, Stradivarius probably built about 250 Violins. Today in the United States alone, over 2,000 have survived!
:-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration