OT uncle Petes 28 model A

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT uncle Petes 28 model A
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 12:48 pm:

my uncles and my dad had a wreaking yard, gas station used car lot repair shop and hang out for all the bs'ers for miles around. One of the regulars that came around to fill his pockets with model A parts knew my uncle liked A s and told him I know where there is a real nice clean touring some rich guy just wants to get rid of, well my uncle bit and did some a kissing to get the address so the next Sunday he went to this big fancy house in glencoe knocked on the door the servant lady answers the door and says owner is in his studio and leads my uncle thru to an art gallery so my uncle asks about the A for sale the says I have it but it's not for sale my uncles friend has been pestering this old guy for over a year and he told him it's not for sale and don't come back again! So my uncle finally figured out what a sucker he was! But he got to talking with the Nice old guy that used the A to carry his art supply's when he went out painting, my aunt was a good amateur painter also so they had a nice talk and a laugh, so Peat apologized for wasting his time and started to leave and the guy said wait my nefu has been wanting that car and I don't want him getting hurt with it. I will sell it to you! Peat hasent even seen it yet but says I will take it! The guy says I will have to get it cleaned serviced and you can pick it up next week! So Peat says what do you want for it? The guy says what ever you think is fair Peat says is a 100 ok? That was a lot at that time especially for a car he never saw! Peat dident want to be too cheap but he was a little worried what he was getting! it worked out well 50 years of fun with no problems. The best part was when his friend showed up and he said I got something to show you and opened the door with the A behind it, the guy turned colors and couldn't talk!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 02:20 pm:

Paul, Very cool! I got dizzy trying to read the paperwork sideways though. Red Steering wheel, with center emergency brake, so it's about mid '28? What a GEM--It would make a great article in one of the Model A Club magazines. Not many "surviving" open As out there; weather usually did them in. How about an "overall" picture of the car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 02:22 pm:

Also just noticed fairly early fluted headlight lenses. There should be a date stamped on the firewall, driver's side usually, above the bolted seam.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 04:19 pm:

Great example of an original red steering wheel that was unique to the '28 year only. Nowadays, on restored '28 "A's, you'll see a repop red steering wheel that is always much, much too red!

Interesting post Paul, and I suppose many would consider this post "OT", but many "T guys" (like me) also like and/or own Model A's and I think it's a great post,.....thanks,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 04:21 pm:

Great example of an original red steering wheel that was unique to the '28 year only. Nowadays, on restored '28 "A's, you'll see a repop red steering wheel that is always much, much too red!

Interesting post Paul, and I suppose many would consider this post "OT", but many "T guys" (like me) also like and/or own Model A's and I think it's a great post,.....thanks,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 04:22 pm:

Oops! Doubled,.....sorry....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 04:32 pm:

That's a great start for a project. It should have the date stamped halfway down the fire wall but still on the tank and some A s have a date stamp on the underneath of the tank on the inside of the car. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 04:48 pm:

Got it running with a little point fiddling, David the date is 6-21-28 as far as I know it is all original paint my uncle Peat says the top has never been folded not much left of it now. he patched it and put rubber on running boards and painted the wheels and drove it a lot in the summers. He says it never let him down. He would let me drive long before my dad trusted me in a car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 04:53 pm:

I see the powerhouse generator and i wonder if it has the wet clutch? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 05:08 pm:

Pics try again. that's the title 17 April 51 is when he bought it hope he don't get in trouble for not sending it in!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 05:43 pm:

That's the mistake my Dad made, he turned in the original 1930 pink slip when he had Ma Green transferred over to our family. Only days later he'd wished he'd claimed it was "lost" but too late! Ma Green sat out in the weather (rain, sun, snow, etc.) after Mr. Green died for almost 10 years, so she wasn't quite as nice as yours--plus Mr. Green had her repainted at least 3 times--the last two I'm certain he did--with house paint! The date on the firewall fits the features--good eye Kenneth on the Powerhouse Generator. The A never had a "Wet" clutch, but the first clutch was much like the T clutch, multiple plate. They didn't wear well, although when new they were smooth as silk. I'd bet Paul's car is the normal single disk clutch. Paul, photograph every inch of that car!! Every little detail you can find, especially the top remains!! Details like; the rear bumperettes--are the ends painted where the bolt onto the brackets? Some folks claim those ends were dipped in black enamel. Photos of the bolts holding the fenders, running boards and splash shields together, all this "little things" that once a car is taken apart, no one really knows how the factory did it.
I also notice now that you have the body mounted "teacup" taillight and the hood with the parallel louvers (upper end of louvers doesn't match the hinge seam). Can you still see how the pinstripes end at the cowl area--some say the upper stripe just ends, others say the upper and lower stripe are connected by the stripe going down the that front "lip."
I have some oval speedos around here somewhere if you need one.
Very very cool car!
Oh, what brand horn is on your car? (there were at least 5 different makes used over the production run)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 06:19 pm:

Restored cars are nice, but I have a real love for old survivors, esp ones that can be driven.

Ditto on what David said re: Wet clutch? Model A never had one. The multiple disk clutch was dry as was the single disk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 11:41 pm:

It has a 1932-34 Model B carburetor, a PLUS in my book. I like how this carb (with bored-out intake) peps up the Model A engine a little.
Marshall,
December, 1928 Phaeton

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 11:58 pm:

Note the rubber plugs for the top saddle holes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By wayne tomlins on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 12:19 am:

That is a nice original Model A 1928. Has all the usual '28 items, drum tail lamp ; mushroom gear lever knob; Power House generator [ that was used up to mid '29]& centre hand brake. The mentioned firewall date was actually the date the tank was pressure tested & not the assembly date of the car as is commonly thought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 10:34 am:

I will try to post pics of stripes. having a hard time with pics David the speedo is under seat thanks don't know why he took it out at 98 he don't remember! Car has regular clutch. Marshall I never knew about carb! dont know when it was put on it always ran better than any other A's can't read the horn tag after looking closer it may have had paint work done on cowl the Welting looks painted up front hard to tell I know it was never painted since Peat had it. I ran it around yard ran good! Water pump dripping gen. Charges clutch smooth head lite switch turns with wheel tho. Next step I plan to order a set of tires and greese every thing it should be on the road pretty easy I will probably take the whole top off for now. No plans to ever restore or paint it

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration