Troop 183 - Question, 4 Jun 16

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Troop 183 - Question, 4 Jun 16
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Rakestraw on Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 02:45 pm:

Howdy all,

Was ordering parts the other day and bought a front spring bolt to hold the leaves together. Then I got to thinking about the leaves the guys worked on and remember them having a centering pin and recess instead of a hole. So, I took the picture (below) for discussion.

What I think we have is a mashup of front springs, but I'm not sure exactly what the mashup is from. There are 8 springs which is correct. Springs 1-5 and 7 (top to bottom) have a centering pin and a recess on the back for centering. Springs 6 and 8 have the hole for the stack bolt.

Springs 1-5 are tapered at the ends with a round profile. Spring 6 has no tapper and clipped corners. Spring 7 has no taper and is not clipped.

So there you go. Opinions?

Thanks

Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 03:44 pm:

Mark,

I'm 99% sure you have an after market front spring. The USA Ford supplied front springs (and probably other locations -- but I'm not checking that) had a hole in the center of the spring for the "Tie Bolt" part #3811C for the 1926-27 8 leaf front spring.

Additionally the front spring kept the same style "clipped" ends from some time in 1916 to 1927.

I'll try to post some photos of that.

Thank you for working with your troop on this project.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 05:04 pm:

Mark,

For some reason I am not finding a good photo of the clipped end front springs. I'll probably see lots of them a month from now when I am not looking.

Below is a photo of a 1926-27 reproduction front spring shown on page 139 (it shows 140 on the PDF page counter) of Chaffin's new 2016 catalog. Thank you Glenn for your support to our hobby and the great catalog! Link to their new catalog is: http://www.chaffinsgarage.com/catalog.pdf . Below is the photo of the reproduction 1926-27 front spring they sell:

Note if you find a Ford script on one or more of the leaves from your disassembled front spring – please let us know. For years many folks thought a “pointy end front spring” was an aftermarket one. After a leaf was found with the Ford script on it, they did some additional research and found documentation in the archives that spring. It was used during part of 1916 see: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/43281.html?1198287177
for information on that unique 1916 pointy leaf front spring.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Rakestraw on Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 11:09 pm:

It's funny (strange). I was looking around this morning and found several pictures and discussions of the tapered springs. Now I can't find one, but I do know what you're talking about.

While patrolling for the tapered spring picture, I came across this one which seems to have a similar profile as (some of) our springs. They are the rear springs of a 1914.

Haven't found any Ford script, but will give them the once over again to make sure.

Best

Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Rakestraw on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 08:05 am:

Hap

Was searching through old forums and found this thread:

http://modelt.org/discus/messages/2/33163.html?1320531934

This is for an aftermarket spring that is very similar to ours. Not that the drawing is good enough for a positive ID, but the leaves appear to be tapered with rounded end profile. Most interesting to me is that spring 7 appears to have a flat end profile as does ours.

Our springs have the Ford boss plate to hold the springs to the frame, unlike the one described in the article.

Our 6th spring is obviously a standard Ford product and I would lay good odds that the 8th spring is Ford as well because of the hole. My best guess is that at some point in the car's existence, when T's were just old cars and parts not readily available, a "new" set was needed to affect a repair and partial set of aftermarket springs was recycled from another "junker".

Since we're doing a renovation and not a restoration, we're going to be true to the car's history and use what we have as long as it is safe to do so.

Best

Mark

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration