I'm at the point of installed my wood bands, prior to bolting on the crankcase. I made sure the steel band part was as round as I could get it, then installed the wood liner. With the first band on the drum, seems I have good contact for the majority of the band/drum, yet there is a gap where the band ears are.
As I said the rest of the band is making good contact.
I would have to bend the ear in order to get contact at the band ends. I'm concerned about breaking the ears if I bend them. This next picture is another band that I prepared in the same manner, yet it fits much better.
I think that I should try to correct the first band, but the band ear will have to be bent. I'm concerned about breaking the ears. Any ideas or thoughts? Suppose I could get a different steel band. Thanks Mike
Mike, there's no problem. The wood will wear in and the contact will improve the more you drive the car.
Well... after looking over the bands more closely, I saw that each ear was slightly bent right at the middle rivet. They were all bent out, which would pull the band ends away from the drum. The middle rivet is right were the side reinforcing rib ends. Obviously a weak point where bending could easily occur. I suspect that some gorilla (probably me), when removing the ears bent the ears when removing them from the steel band. A little bending and now all the bands fit rather good, at least as well as the last picture I posted. Thanks Mike
That's probably why Jim Guinn, suggests form fitting your bands to an old rear wheel brake drum first before installing the wood onto the bands.
Myself I just fitted the bands to the trans drums before I put the wood on the metal bands. Then I slipped the bands over the drums before I put the pan back on, so I didn't have to spread them, even though mine have removable ears (that way they fit the drum curvature exactly). I wired them tightly closed with the ears up so they wouldn't move, put the pan on and am getting ready to put the hogshead back on.