A bit of bragging here!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: A bit of bragging here!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 03:11 am:

As a young fella, our bragging rights when rebuilding an engine was

'it was a good one if you could balance a coin on it while idling'

Something that was always no more than wishful thinking on a T.
Static balanced the crap out of every part on this one and a dream comes true.
Trust me, the engine is running!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 03:29 am:

Is that an American quarter? Or an Australian quarter?
All kidding aside. BRAG away!
Thanks for sharing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 06:14 am:

Wayne, it is an Aussie 1/5th! .20 of a dollar!
Well done Frank. We will have to have a shakedown tour soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 07:25 am:

Super Glue is a wonderful product!
Only Joking
Alan in Western Australia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 08:46 am:

That really is amazing. I like to think I have a pretty good running Flivver, but it vibrates like a helicopter and all three rear view mirrors move like the mixing machine at Sherwin Williams. _Whatever you've done, whatever you're learned, whatever skill you've earned and applied here to get that engine to balance a quarter deserves to be held in respectful awe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 08:59 am:

Ditto -- Good going, Frank!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 09:11 am:

I can't even set a cup of coffee on running board without sloshing over side on mine yet !
That's awesome !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 10:10 am:

Amazing! My only similar accomplishment as to balance a US dime on edge on the window ledge of a Boeing Stratocruiser on a flight from Idlewild to Minneapolis in 1955.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 11:51 am:

It is amazing what Super Glue will do - isn't it .... :-)

Nice Job !

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 05:50 pm:

Frank, That's wonderful!

Could you please tell us what you did and what parts used to achieve this besides "Static balanced the crap out of every part"?

Thanks, Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 12:51 am:

Keith,
1916 block
Bored .060" NOS Jahns aluminium pistons from the 60/70's, still cam ground and a bit heavier that what can be bought today.
1926 ground crank.
light rods.
new 280 stipe cam.
Z head.
TW timer.
Every thing else stock T.

Instead of grinding clearance in the head, I checked and machined the pistons to same height at TDC, several thou difference there.
The worst out was the fly wheel, 1.5 oz's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 11:15 am:

Frank, thanks for the information. The parts you list above are typical so the key factor must be that all your balancing is right on.

Thanks, Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 12:16 pm:

Well done Frank.

I confess I'm afraid to try doing the same with mine event though I brought a couple of twenty centers home with me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 05:40 pm:

Using a metric quarter South of the equator is gilding the lily.

<grin>

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 06:03 pm:

Our next size coin is a little easier,a 12 sided 50cent piece.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration