Found a 13 Touring body!! Another project! Gonna need some brackets and body parts for sure!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Found a 13 Touring body!! Another project! Gonna need some brackets and body parts for sure!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 01:13 pm:

Howdy all!

I have a 13 touring body I found last summer. I thought I would finally share it now that I am remembering to do so! It came with the hood, all 4 fenders, splash aprons, and the original topbows. The top bows are a little bent in the wrong direction, so I hope I can find a way to steam and rebend to save them. They are still pretty strong. I have a couple bow sockets that are rusted out though. I have to find one more I think now. I found one at Luray. The body needs some work and patch panels as seen.

The door wood is still good, the sills are mainly gone. The body wood is not.all there anymore. I have the front and rear seat riser panels, and I think the toekick panel for the back seat. Underneath the thin strip of formed metal that goes on the front seat edge, I did find some original paint! It has a slightly bluish cast under a sunny day, but i dont know if its the dark blue or reflecting the sky.

The body has the large pressed steel reinforcement brackets on the rear door sills.

Im working on slowly finding parts. I have all the chassis and running gear parts. I have the 13 engine block with much thanks going to Dan Hatch. Found the correct teacup pan at Luray and just last week got a low head delivered. So I'm getting there!

I have a correct windshield. Still working on finding the windshield support brackets from the body to windshield. My windshield has the two unequal halves. I cannot remember what brand, but it has brass disks on the outside of the hinge area. I have an original set of 14 brackets and the correct original bracket to body hardware. I'll e using these until I can find a set of 13 original brackets.

I also need a set of Original brackets and bolts that connect the lower windshield half to the dash.

My body I'm putting back together is in pics below. Needing alot of parts as you can see! Missing most of the top garnish plates. This has 14 style door latches, so that makes it difficult to find the correct top plates. Also need the body to dash brackets and alot of original hardware. I'm not sure how the back seat goes together, and maybe there is another set of seat brackets like on the front I will need?

Looking for another set of these brackets. I found one original set (looks that way anyhow) as seen below:

My body:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 01:31 pm:

Looks pretty good! That red paint probably has helped to keep the elements away from the metal. Lot of work ahead, but it's always with it when you are done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Eyre on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 01:45 pm:

I just a restored a 13 touring with the late latches and it was a feature MTFCI article about a year ago for a customer and own an early 13 touring myself. A good friend has an original about 195,000 serial number. I live in battle creek Michigan if you ever need any details give me a call. Mark Eyre269-719-7542, leave me a message if I don't answer. Can get you detailed pictures if you need them, it looks like a great project. They are my favorite year along with 14s.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 03:31 pm:

I forgot to mention my body is a Beaudette. I haven't been able to locate any body numbers. I think the wood is too far gone. I think I have looked kn all the doors too.

@Dale, it's not too bad, it would of been almost no work at all if it was not left outside for many years. It was screwed to a piece of plywood, and then it must have sat for who know how long. The lower 2 or 3 inches of the rear tub has rusted away. Same with other parts that were low. I am hoping to get some patch panels made from Howell sheetmetal co. Maybe he can make some small ones instead of me buying a whole rear center section to replace the lower few inches. Or I will try to make my own. It will be a learning experience in car restoration anywhow.

@Mark, thanks for the help! I will for sure get ahold of you sometime. Do you know what serial the 13 with late latches you worked on? I'm trying to understand when my body was built with the late latches. It's my understanding Beaudette was bulging the 14 style bodies around July? So would that place this body around June or july? Would Beaudette have built up 13 style bodies the same time as the 14s, using up old stock?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Eyre on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 06:31 pm:

323,000 and it had a casting date of 8-23-13. It had the same fillers in the door wood where the latched would have come up through the tin caps as your body does. The tin caps caps didn't have the opening for the door handles to protrude through either. The frame on the car was a later one like a 14. It had been in the gentlemans family since 1917. Email me at meyre14t@yahoo.com and I'll try to send you some pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 06:57 pm:

From your photo, the front door appears to have the standard latch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Eyre on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 07:44 pm:

If you look close at the wood in the picture there is a filler that filled in the area where the door handle would go up towards the top of the door and then through the tin cap. It's about a 1/4 of an inch thick. The latest of all 13 body's had 14 latches in them and you would have to stick your had over the top edge to open the door from the inside. This is the 3rd body I have seen constructed this way. My guess is not many survive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 08:23 pm:

All three doors still have the latches and are constructed the same way with the spacer. I will get a better photo tomorrow. The top door garnish I have for the back passenger door does Not have the slit in it for the normal 13 style latches you mainly see. It's just a solid formed strip. I'm hoping to find originals to replace my is sing ones, but I know it's a shot in the dark.

@Mark, would that still be 13 model year construction in august, or did that end later? September or October? Im having a hard time understanding the model year change over from 13 to 14 since I am understanding they had the 14 style bodies being produced in July sometime. Was that body serial or engine on the 13 you worked on? Did it have a 2 piece driveshaft?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Eyre on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 08:47 pm:

I don't remember the patent plate number and will have to see if I have a picture of it. It was a one piece torque tube car it had a metal 14 style coil box. It didn't have the piano hinge windshed. I have tied to figure out the body change from 13-14 body and it seems to be all over the place from like July on so I'm not going to be specific there. It left my shop in August of 2014 and I had about 748 hours in it. It was a black car with no stripe although the owner since has striped just the body and he realizes it's not correct that way😏

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Eyre on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 08:57 pm:

I don't know what that was on the bottom of the last post. Too small of type on my phone sorry. I was trying to say that was a motor number.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration