Gen cut out question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Gen cut out question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 01:38 pm:

Ok this is really OT it's for a 36 ford but I think they work the same. We went on a 100 mile ride Friday I noticed the amp gauge was not moving and gen was hot when we got back I just jumped cutout and it still charges so gen is ok. My question is I think I read some where you should ground out the output wire so you don't burn out the gen is that right? I would like to be able to drive car until I fix it never use lights anyway

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 02:40 pm:

Yes, if the cutout is stuck open, you should ground the output on the generator side - and disconnect and isolate the cable from the cutout to the ammeter, should the cutout suddenly start to work. Best would be a regulator from fun Projects - they're made for early V8's too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 06:04 pm:

Roger thats what I needed to know. I will look into the regulator idea. I guess I got lucky and didnt burn out the gen. it got real hot but it still puts out when I jumped cut out, Thank you. we were on way back from a car show and following a 15 model T he was doing 40! up and down hills! to fast for me in a T! but he knows what he is doing!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration