Disc Wheels, please help identify?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Disc Wheels, please help identify?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 02:45 pm:

These are on a model t rear axle, has partial Van Sickle shocks on it. Are these Chevy discs?Chevy 1disc 2
disc 3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 04:34 pm:

Marvin
What does the spacer between the wheels and the T hub look like. Pressed metal or home made or?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 04:45 pm:

The discs are solid. The T hubs are bolted through the center. It looks as though there are other stud holes that do not totally line up. At first they look like rusted through areas. The closeup photo hopefully shows it. I will see if I have a back photo and post it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 04:49 pm:

Notice the very different shackle connections. Back side of the disc wheels.back

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 03:58 pm:

Any help would be appreciated. thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 04:05 pm:

Expanded the view some, maybe this helps. Seems like smaller diameter wide straight side tire demountable rim, disc wheel off a larger car than a Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 05:00 pm:

The rim is not T. It was about 3 3/4 to 4 inches wide. I will probably pull these wheels off to get a better idea of what they are. We thought possibly Chevy discs but I am unsure. Will have some more eyes on them in a day or two to see what other guys think. thanks for the modification Dan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 05:03 pm:

It would help to know what rim size they are.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 06:18 pm:

The wheels are 21 inch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 06:53 pm:

They look like one of the many variations of Jaxon steel disc wheels. Jaxon steel disc wheels are best known for having been used on some Chevrolet cars from about 1924 through '31 (optional on many models and standard on a few). Jaxon steel wheels were also used on most other General Motors makes of cars at least some (I have even seen some very heavy versions on a couple Cadillacs and larger trucks)
Jaxon wheels were also used on a few non-GM marques of cars and trucks.
I don't think these (at least the one I can see best in the photo) are off of a Chevrolet, but from something heavier. I think this because of the offset between the felly and the disc which I can see in the photo.
About twenty years ago, Vic Sala and I collaborated by combining our individual accumulations of Jaxon Disc wheels to put together two decently matching sets. Between us, we had about a dozen 21 inch wheels. He was able to put together three alike, with one slightly different, I got two pair that were not drastically different which I mounted as fronts and rears. There were a few leftovers (one, I still have) that were too different to match well with any of the others. The width of the felly, and the offset between the felly and the disc are the main differences. There are also lesser differences in the depth of the disc, and whether the bolt holes around the center are flat, or dimpled. Discs that have dimpled holes around the center are generally later, usually 1929 or '30.

As to their wheel/tire sizes. 21 inch rim diameter (measured at the bottom/bed of the rim where the tire seats in the corner) is the most common . They come in a variety of widths from about 3 1/2 inch to over 4 1/2 inch. There is some lee-way in mixing rim's and wheel's width, but not too much. They must seat well and clamp securely.
19 inch is the next most common rim/tire size, again, available in several widths. 20 inch and 18 inch were also used, but rarely found today. At least I guess that they were used, I have had or seen them over the years (many years ago, I actually had three decent wheels in 20 inch, sold them to a Chevrolet fellow that was thrilled to get them).
Good measurements for the tire size would help identify what they may have fit. But it may be impossible to identify them for certain. They probably would work for several cars. If you can find good matching wheels.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 07:54 pm:

I would say they are most likely Chevrolet, 1926 Series V closed cars, 1927-1928 all models with standard wheels.
The Chevrolet 6 bolt center pattern is slightly larger than the Model T wood wheel hub pattern, thus the holes with bosses around them showing out from under the T wood wheel hub flanges.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 08:01 pm:

Thanks so much! There are gaps where bolt pattern seems bigger and they look like rusted out spots. I need to take these off and see more of what is there. Thanks Wayne and Layden.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration