Rim Saver Kit - Still Available?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Rim Saver Kit - Still Available?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 02:45 pm:

I saw this 2013 thread that mentioned a slip-on folded ring that covered a sharp clincher rim edge, is such a kit still available? I have a couple of rims that would benefit.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/388793.html?1380327193

If no longer available, I'm going to try and make my own. My Harbor Freight sheet metal brake is pretty small, so I'll have to make the rings in sections and tack weld each section to the rim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 03:02 pm:

Why would u want to do that, with a the good used one around. The price of new tires and the trouble involved in installing them

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 04:04 pm:

That's good to know - please send me a good used early Hayes rim, note the squared off shape of the lug (the later Hayes rims have a more tapered lug) and the manufacterer's name (Hayes) stamped into the lug above the lug hole: :-)

IMG_1284.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 04:45 pm:

Mark,some of the guys use a piece of 3/8 copper tubing,fitted to the inside of clincher area and then weld the edge up. I have two spare rims I am going to try that on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Brand on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 04:52 pm:

Hi Mark.

The rim saver kits are still available. I don't think Dean has a current email address, but I can contact him for you if needed. I'm not sure what postage to the U S would be but if others are interested perhaps we could ship a number together.

Regards, Andrew

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 05:50 pm:

Andrew, thanks for the response, that's great news!

I'll take you up on your offer to contact Dean for me. Please let me know, either here or via PM what arrangements can be made to ship some of them here to the U.S.

If anyone else on the forum is interested in these, please make a call out on this thread so that Dean knows how many sets to ship.

Thanks again! :-)

By the way, I did do a little quick mockup, bending a short section of 26 gage steel in the brake, rolling and clamping it to a rim for a test fit, looked like the home-made approach had some promise:

pic1

pic2

pic3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Brand on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 04:56 am:

Hi Mark. I just spoke to Dean. He still sells them. They are AUD 20 for 2 rim savers (enough to do one rim). I checked the Australia Post website and we should be able to pack them in a box within size limits. Probably not worth it for enough to do a few rims, but lets see if anyone else is interested.

Andrew

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 09:21 am:

Excellent Andrew, thank you! please put me down for ten rings (enough to do five rims).

If anyone else is interested in some, please speak up in this thread and I will add your request to the total.

If Dean prefers to ship the entire order to a single U.S. destination, I'm willing to act as the focal point and will forward rings to others in the U.S. as long as folks are willing to reimburse me for my costs.

If we can show enough interest, perhaps one of the vendors (Glenn, Don, Bob?) will step up and stock these in the U.S. :-)

(Message edited by cudaman on June 06, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 07:45 am:

I'll bump this thread up to the top for a couple of days to see if anyone else is interested in these.

I'll be placing my order for ten rings (enough to do five rims) around the end of this week. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 09:00 am:

Bump #2 :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 10:22 am:

Please consider getting new or better rims instead. If a rim has rusted this much, it's also thinned considerably in other critical areas which greatly reduces its strength. You're only prolonging the life of a used up part until the rim cracks and splits away, which does happen. Don't take a chance when better options are available to you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 10:35 am:

Photo credit to Dan Treace;

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 12:13 pm:

Thanks for the concern, Jerry. I would love to find an early Hayes rim in excellent condition (just need one). Here is a picture of the lug shape, note that it is more "square" than the later Hayes and has "Hayes" stamped into each lug above the bolt hole.

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 04:52 pm:

Mark,can you post some pictures of the difference between the early and late Hayes rims? I have some extra Hayes rims, but I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Thanks, Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 05:03 pm:

Here is a picture of the lug of a later Hayes rim, note the more tapered shape and the "foot" that extends back towards the center of the rim. The "foot" fits into the depression or shallow cutout in the Hayes metal felloe.

The later Hayes rim functionally interechanges with the early Hayes (I have used them both), but of course the lug shape is different.

pic

pic2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 09:38 am:

Last bump, then this thread fades into oblivion...:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Fritzler on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 11:59 am:

One day we rolled into a gas station to get fuel. I just got it fueled up and my wife said: We're not going anywhere! What? I said. Look at that rim she said. It broke in half right there while I was fueling. Never heard any thing....just big bulge on the tire where the tube was herniating out big time. Good thing I had a spare.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Fritzler on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 12:01 pm:

One day we rolled into a gas station to get fuel. I just got it fueled up and my wife said: We're not going anywhere! What? I said. Look at that rim she said. It broke in half right there while I was fueling. Never heard any thing....just big bulge on the tire where the tube was herniating out big time. Good thing I had a spare.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 01:50 pm:

That's bad luck that it happened to you twice Tom.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 02:02 pm:

Nevin,

Now THAT'S funny!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 02:04 pm:

If you try sand blasting a rim you might be disappointed in the outcome.
Rust hides the rusted out places on the inside of the rim.
My opinion is once the rim edges are worn or rusted thin the rest of the rim is usually to far gone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 05:11 pm:

Interesting photo of the busted rim. By the looks of the width of the bead on the rest of the rim, much of it had been ground off to get rid of sharp edges. I would be leary of using such a rim, as there is a much reduced contact area on the bead to hold the tyre in place.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 07:24 pm:

I think it would be an easier and a better fix to buy a new rim, cut off the lugs from the old rim and braze them to the new rim.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration