Heavy rain = won't start.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Heavy rain = won't start.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith G Golnik on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 04:37 pm:

Today was the second time my 1927 Express truck wouldn't start following heavy rain. The coil box is in the cab and stays dry. Water leaks through the hood and collects around the the spark plugs. I don't seem to get any spark. The last time it happened after cranking for a bit she finally started but was missfiring and back firing and seemed to be only running on two or three cylinders. I hauled her home on a trailer and left her outside overnight. The next morning she started right up. Today I left her under cover at the fairgrounds and walked home. Any suggestions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 04:57 pm:

Do you have a wooden coil box? Many times the rain water will leak down the firewall and soak the back side of the coil box. Doesn't need much moisture and the wood will become conductive and short out the spark. Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith G Golnik on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 05:02 pm:

it is metal but maybe the water comes through the firewall and soaks the wooden coils.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith G Golnik on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 05:07 pm:

it is metal but maybe the water comes through the firewall and soaks the wooden coils.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 05:29 pm:

Get a Fun Projects wood replacement kit for the coil box and install it.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 05:50 pm:

I second Mr. Gumbinger's suggestion.The kit will take care of any moisture altering (swelling) the wood and causing problems once and for all. It will also take care of any potential carbon tracking issues as well. I have the kit on my car and am 100% satisfied, and of course it runs better too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 02:35 am:

I had a similar issue, it was when I washed the car and it dripped through the cowl (earlier car). Problem was a carbon trace in the wood; when it got wet it would run very rough, then when it dried out it was ok. The Fun Projects kit corrected the issue and it has never returned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 06:31 am:

Keith (Golnik),

The kit they are talking about is located at: http://www.funprojects.com/products/5000RK.aspx and is also sold by many of the vendors such as Lang's part # 5000-5001RK.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 07:41 am:

I agree it's a good idea to replace the wood in the box any way but I don't see it drying out over night and allowing it to start. If water is running down the fire wall and entering the box thru the porcelain extensions I can't see it clearing out that fast. Especially if the cover is on the box. I'm with soaked plug wires and wet plugs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 08:31 am:

I have the Regan coil box in my '19 but also make it a habit to cover the motor with a large plastic leaf bag when I wash the Touring and later on it makes starting the motor easy as usual. I know this is not a practical idea when it rains but it prevents the engine stumbling until it warms up and dries off the water.
PS-I don't apply the bag with the engine hot! :-)
PSS- When I rebuilt the '19 years ago one of the hardest parts for me to find that was missing is the metal drip ledge that fits the upper edge of the firewall and helps to keep water from running off the windshield and down to the engine compartment at the rear hood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 08:51 am:

Old time fix was to add this rubber boot the front of the coil box prior to fastening to the dash.

Or... a bra for the hood. Keeps water off the wiring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 09:18 am:

So far, with the rim repair kits from another post and these 2 items posted by Dan above I've learned 3 new things today and it isn't even 10 AM!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration