Need an Opinion on a Driveshaft

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Need an Opinion on a Driveshaft
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Hoekstra - Katy TX on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 05:49 pm:

I'm rebuilding the drive train and found this done to the drive shaft. My question is: Should I be concerned about the grinding and drilled dimple leading to torsional stresses being set up. Don't want a drive shaft flailing about in the torque tube.

Drive Shaft Modification

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 05:53 pm:

My guess is that it was done to balance the shaft. I don't think it would be likely to cause a failure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Hoekstra - Katy TX on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 05:58 pm:

That was my first thought. The shaft has .008 runout.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 06:23 pm:

I've seen the same on quite a few drive shafts. I always though the flat spot was created to drill a small hole in the driveshaft so it could be straightened.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nick Stanley on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 06:24 pm:

Could be flat spot was added prior to a Brinnell hardness reading being taken.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Hoekstra - Katy TX on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 06:49 pm:

I think Nick may have hit upon the answer. It was customary to grind a flat before applying the a load to the indenter ball when using the Brinell hardness method. Unless there is a consensus otherwise, I am inclined to use the shaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 07:15 pm:

Nick is 100% correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 08:01 pm:

Brinell hardness was my first thought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 08:05 pm:

It is a Brinell check spot, I have done thousands.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration