'23 Touring Top

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: '23 Touring Top
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Woods on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 09:53 pm:

Hello, new to model T's. I have posted several questions in the past few weeks and have to say thank you to everyone for their advice, information and patience.

When I picked up the T I had to lower the top to get it in the trailer after a few tries and quick google search I was able to lower it but I noticed after I raised it the top again the middle doesn't seem to be as high. I really don't see any other way to adjust and everything seems to be place but the middle still seems a bit low. Is there any illustrations or directions to correctly lower and raise the top? I can post a few photos if it helps. I do have the "one man top" and the bows are solid nothing broke or loose just the center of the two arms seem to be low around the driver and passenger in the front seat.

Thanks for any advice!

David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 06:53 am:

David,

Be careful the top bows can pinch your fingers -- especially if someone else is moving them and your hand/finger is in the way.

Also, if you can post a photo that would probably help folks spot the problem.

Below are the instructions for raising and lowering the one man top from the Aug 1922 Service Bulletins:

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 07:09 am:

Phil Mino also posted some great photos of the top on his site at:

http://www.fordfarm.net/25TrgTop.html
http://www.fordfarm.net/25TrgTop2.html

The three below show you the ways the bows should look when the top is up.

And he has several others on his site (Thank you Phil!).

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Carter - South Jersey on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 04:13 pm:

There really isn't anything that is adjustable after the top is installed. If something changed since the last time the top was up, is it possible that the windshield posts got bent or the irons themselves?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 04:19 pm:

David,

What year is your T?

By the way, the biggest lie Ford ever told was in the naming of the so called "One Man Top". BS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 04:27 pm:

Jerry, the thread title is "'23 Touring Top." :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Woods on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 05:57 pm:

Thank you for the illustration, I'm pretty close up still seems like the second bow is low. I will attach some photos. I tried to match up the measurements on the posted photo above but really can't match up the points, meaning it's not a straight line from the top of the door to the bow. I was able to compare the distance between the bows mine are the same except for the the 3rd and 4th. I measure 25" not 21 3/4.

I did measure the part I think is low by the second bow and the points I measured, maybe someone could compare?

Please see attached photos. I measured 21" from top of door to the frameTop1

Top4
Top5

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 06:07 pm:

Pardon my stepping in on the newbie...the pictures posted in the orientation taken with the camera....I simply turned them rightside up for me and put up a respost of the originals...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco - Winchester Va. on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 08:21 pm:

The problem you show is common on such iron bow tops. The front irons (from windshield back to second from front bow) are too low.

Let's call the front header bow (above the windshield) #1. Then, numbering back, you have bow #2, #3, and rear bow.

Too correct this, there needs to be more tension from the rear bow, through straps or pads, pulling the #2 and #3 bows back. The pads on your top have obviously given up, with no tension at all on the top.

Whomever installed the top on this car, while I'm sure they had good intentions, really made a mess of it. The pads should have straps inside them to provide the rearward pull required, and there should be no sewed seams in the outer sides of the top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Woods on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 09:37 pm:

Thanks David, this car was a barn rescue that was sitting at least 30 years and the top appears to have a very thin material for the rear panel and thicker on the rest. So looks like a new top is in order and sounds like the correct pads and straps will fix the height issue.

Sorry about the photos the first batch is correct in orientation for me but the second patch are sideways or upside down so I think the software used on this website may be a bit outdated for pads/tablets instead of computers. Again sorry it was easier to take the iPad out to the pole barn to take photos and post but maybe I will post on a computer next time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 08:42 am:

David, there is a basic problem with the ironwork on your car. David C. has picked that the front bow is low at its rear end where it joins onto the rest of the ironwork. There should be a limiting factor at that joint to stop the bow going too low. Over the years this joint takes some punishment. The answer is to rebuild the metalwork at the join to restore the limiting factor. Once this is done, then the pads and straps should be adjusted to accommodate this new alignment. Ideally, the second bow will then add some tension to the top between the front and third bows.
Without attending to this foundation to the top, you will be chasing your tail.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 05:46 pm:

Jerry,

Doesn't the Two-man top take three men and the one-man top take two?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration