Aid for tire changing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Aid for tire changing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Schrepfer on Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 10:28 pm:

Made this inexpensive aid for tire changing. 2 pieces of 5/8 plywood cut to the same diameter of a 3 1/2 X 30 felloes. Screw them together, drill 4 1/2 inch holes where lugs will line up, use hole saw and drill out center so hub will fit, then cut out slots. Use clamps to hold down on saw horses. For demountable rims you can see from pictures how it works. The last picture has a nondemountable rim in position to work with. Puts you working on back side of the rims and protects the threads for the hub caps. Reduces the swearing considerably.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 10:46 am:

Nice fixture - my back (& knees) feel better already !!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 11:09 am:

That's pretty crazy. All you actually need to do is bolt the rim to the wheel. The wheel is of course still on the car.

Easy way shown here:

http://modelt.org/discus/messages/2/32845.html?1314150377

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 03:53 pm:

Some of us aren't "spring chickens" anymore, Royce - I'd much rather work on tires standing up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 10:32 am:

I feel like a fall chicken now....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 11:05 am:

That is awesome!!! I absolutely hate changing tires.

I would like to see both of our major club magazines feature this kind of tips and tricks each month they are printed.

Perhaps the major magazines can ask questions of us, the members and next printing they can print our answers. The kind of questions or conversations we talk about on any of our forums.

Just a thought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 12:33 pm:

I second your motion, Robert. The more technical tips in our magazines, the better. The AACA has totally given up on them, and with Gary Hoonsbeen's passing, the HCCA magazine may lose their technical section.

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 02:02 pm:

For technical tips to appear in the magazines someone has to write the article and provide photos. The editor of the magazines cannot do it all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn - Lincoln, NE on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 02:23 pm:

Royce is correct. As the new technical editor for the Vintage Ford I would be happy to work with anyone that has an Idea for a technical article or tips/advice. I will also be happy to take questions and provide answers. My contact information is in the most recent issue of the Vintage Ford or you can PM me on the Forum. I read the Forum daily and if I see something that would make a good article I will be contacting the original poster of the Idea and ask for permission and help in making it into an article. Pictures need to be original size and format. (Not the reduced size for the forum.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 05:34 pm:

Royce - As long as you've brought up the tire/changing/mounting subject, I've watched your video before Royce, and I keep wondering (so I have to ask) would your method of leaving the wheels on the car work as well for 4:50 x 21" tires/tubes on say a "new & improved '26 -'27 wire wheel car? I hope so, 'cause last time I mounted an new set of four 4:50 x 21" tires, I got it done, but it was a couple hours of what I considered "hard work" for an old guy!

Please comment on this if you would Royce, 'cause as I said, I can do it "my way", but to tell you the truth (and I hate to admit this) but I'm not even sure what "my way" is! A little different with each wheel I think, and I think the first one took nearly an hour, the second about 40 minutes, the third, a half hour or so, and the last one actually seemed easiest, however the heck I did it! Tell me whatcha' think Royce,....thanx,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 07:10 pm:

I don't know if I'm just plain unlucky or not but I have only ever had one tire go flat in the garage. They usually go flat out on the road sometimes many thousands of miles from home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 07:33 pm:

Harold I honestly have never changed a 21 inch T tire except those with a split rim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 09:16 pm:

Yeah, I should have known Royce,....a brass "T" guy through & through, right? Well, thanks for the response anyway, and as easy as you make it look with a clincher, next "balloon tire" (4:50 x 21") that I have to replace or repair, I'm gonna' try your method Royce, 'cause I sure don't see any reason why it wouldn't work,.....I'll let you know,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 09:19 pm:

Yeah, I should have known Royce,....a brass "T" guy through & through, right? Well, thanks for the response anyway, and as easy as you make it look with a clincher, next "balloon tire" (4:50 x 21") that I have to replace or repair, I'm gonna' try your method Royce, 'cause I sure don't see any reason why it wouldn't work,.....I'll let you know,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 09:43 pm:

A drop center rim like the Ford 21 inch wire wheel Could likely be changed on the car. It might take a little doing to break the bead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 12:01 am:

Small wood blocks and large C-clamp maybe?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 12:09 am:

I've changed tires on my 26/27 wire wheels a couple of times with the wheel on the floor lying on a couple of old tires to save the hubcap from being scratched. It would probably be possible to do it on the car, but then you would have to use the tire irons on the outside rim flange, risking more visible paint scratches :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 12:20 am:

Small wood blocks and large C-clamp maybe?
I do that with the 30" clincher's. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 08:16 am:

The last time I looked (ten seconds ago) Dan Treace was still contributing "how to" articles to the Model T Times. I've sent pieces on how I did stuff to the Vintage Ford and seen them printed. Royce is exactly right. For items to be printed, somebody has to write them. Last year when there was a flurry of bitching about too many speedsters in the VF, I said the guys who wanted to see something else printed should get busy and write it. I'm still waiting.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration