Setting AC brake and trans brake

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Setting AC brake and trans brake
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Seelman on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 07:55 am:

OK, so the addition of AC brake project became AC brakes, rebuild emergency brakes, and rebuild the entire rear end.
Now putting back together, is there a good way to set the trans brake so that it engages after the ac brakes or not at all?
With the ac's, new emergency brakes it seems like a belt and suspenders and another set of suspenders as far as brakes go

thanks......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 08:09 am:

You want both to work. All the brakes that you can get are good to have. The AC brakes don't work so good when the get wet. You need to adjust both the Ford transmission brake and the AC brake to work at the same pedal position. You can do this by first adjusting the Ford brake to work as you normally would, with the AC brakes disconnected. Then adjust the AC brakes to work at exactly the same pedal movement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Seelman on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 11:47 am:

Thanks Royce. Forgot to mention I'm replacing the brake pedal so the trans and AC's will both need to be adjusted...any tricks?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 12:01 pm:

Not to pick a fight, but there are differing opinions on the use (or not) of the transmission brake with auxiliary brakes. In fact, some aux. brake manufacturers deliberately provided, as a part of the kit, a replacement brake pedal absent the cam needed for the trans. brake to work. The design engineers decided things would work better without it.

I'm only speculating, but I have always believed the reason for this is the difficulty associated with keeping everything adjusted properly to make both brake systems work together. Logic indicates (at least to me) that the adjustments would be imperfect most of the time thus causing one system to do all the work and the other to do nothing.

I have Bennetts on my TT. The Bennett pedal is absent the transmission brake cam. I don't even have a brake band in the transmission. The emergency/parking brake is intact and used as intended. This set-up works great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 12:12 pm:

Does anyone have a spare AC equalizer for the TT that mounts on the driveshaft. I just thought about this when I was reading this thread as I'm needing 2 of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 12:34 pm:

My opinion -and what I do - is to have the AC brakes engage just before the trans brake. The AC linkage has a spring so they begin the stop and if I need more I press a bit harder and the trans brake helps out.
"Just before" is hard to explain - so you can use a bit before or a smidgen before or slightly before or a wittle before or not after or something else to explain it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 12:36 pm:

FWIW, I have my brake band set for normal pedal height, then I adjusted the AC brake linkage to put the pedal a little higher, so that the ACs do most if not all of the braking unless I really stomp on the pedal or something breaks in the AC linkage. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 12:42 pm:

A friend of mine activates his AC brakes via the hand brake lever. He removed the emergency brake shoes and kept the Ford brake in tact. Don't know how he got the AC brakes to work with the hand brake lever. Will ask him when I install my set of AC brakes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 01:13 pm:

I set my front McNearny/Big Four and rear Bennett outside brakes to engage before the tranny brake.

You can pull all your hair out trying to get it all set perfect and probably never will. The thing I have learned is that after a little driving everything will wear in together.

I jacked up the wheels and set the outside brakes first according to pedal height. Then drove it and checked it again and readjusted again. You could then disconnect the outside linkage and adjust the tranny brake according to the pedal height just below where the outside brakes were set.

I don't think it's very important to have much tranny brake but I do like to have engage it for those panic stops.

Good Luck and let us know how it works for you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 03:52 pm:

Have set the new RM brakes this way, like Royce has instructed.

Works well. RM brakes come on first, with light pedal pressure and then the trans brake will also engage with complete pedal pressure.

That way the brake pedal full down hard hold the T from rolling back, on steep inclines.

RM instructions

Can't imagine anyone not having the trans brake available too, when installing external brakes on the rear wheels.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration