New bearing sleeve locator bump to deep

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: New bearing sleeve locator bump to deep
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 09:04 am:

The situation, I was helping in a rebuild on a Ruckstell where we decided to replace the sleeves though the original ones were in good shape but since we had ordered new sleeves, new axles and had great Hyatt bearings might as well be new all the way. So placing the sleeves in and setting them to the locator hole we noticed that the sleeves set proud about an 1/8 to a 1/4 inch. Has anyone else experienced that problem? We took the sleeves out and compared the old vs the new an sure enough the raised bump was deeper than the original. My first suggestion was to use the good old ones but I got voted down. My worry is that the end of the sleeves not being flush to the lip inside leaves a portion of the bearing unsupported. Second question do you grind/cut the 1/8-1/4 exposed sleeve off so it is flush with the outside of the axle tube. I want to use the old sleeves (not my Ruckstell) but wanted to check in with the forum to see if I'm over complicating this. Chime in please.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 10:18 am:

I would use the old sleeves if they are good. The new repro sleeves often are not hardened properly and eat themselves in a short period of time, screwing up good original Hyatt bearings in the process.

The sleeves must not sit proud, or the outer seal retainer won't sit flush, which will interfere with the wheel being able to locate properly on the axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 10:19 am:

John -- I agree with you that I'd use the original sleeves. I much prefer good original Ford parts to repops any day. Since the repops obviously aren't made correctly, I suggest sending them back. If you cut 1/8" off them you won't be able to return them.

Also, my experience is that if you use new axles and new repro sleeves, your Hyatt bearings won't fit unless they have about 5-6 thou of wear on the rollers. If your "great" Hyatt bearings have less wear than that, they will be too tight when reassembled.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 12:04 pm:

Hmm, are these the supposedly "made to the print" sleeves (that cost more, but should be worth it for correct fit & wear), or are they the "usual suspect" sleeves?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 12:45 pm:

Is is possible the original sleeves were turned down to accommodate axle seals?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 01:05 pm:

Well the mystery is revealed, my friend ordered sleeves for the early rear axle and not the the 12-27 style. The locating dimple is further down on the early sleeve (learned something from a knowledgeable lurker,thanks) because this Ruckstell is going on his Torpedo,replacing the clamshell, he made a mistake in his order. He's keeping the clamshell, believe me I tried, ha. So after talking to him looks like we will be using the original sleeves. Thanks to everyone for your insight. To the mystery lurker thanks for the walk through and enlightenment. I'll be talking with you again soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 10:59 am:

Depending on which pinion bearing housing you have and if you have the early Ruckstell housing. Hall-Scott/Ruckstell did make a housing that will work with the closed pinion housing. It has the step for the closed pinion housing to fit into. If the Ruckstell housing you have does not have the step you may need to change to open type or grind away part of the lip on the closed type pinion housing.
If the driveshaft is installed, ok. This may help someone else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 11:46 am:

What does the rear axle sleeves have to do with with the machining on a Ruckstell housing for the pinion housing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 12:05 pm:

Nothing! I got the impression that this Ruckstell was being added to an early rear end so was just adding that this might come up. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 01:26 pm:

Mark good catch indeed the owner has the early Hall Scott side and the Early Brass Shift lock. The closed spool does fit over the raised portion of the axle housing but during the process we left the washer out that goes behind the Hyatt bearing in the driveshaft. Boy are we having fun now. Ha

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration