1927 Touring Cowl Lamps

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1927 Touring Cowl Lamps
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By BRENT MIZE on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 02:09 pm:

Can anyone shed some light on the cowl lights that seem to be very rare on 1927 tourings or Sport tourings. I know that there is an extra hole under the stanchion for the wire, so Ford must have intended to install them at some point. I would appreciate any help on this item.
Thanks!
Brent

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 02:14 pm:

Brent,

I maintain that extra hole is a drain so that water doesn't collect in the stanchions. I don't believe there were ever cowl lights on a US made improved car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Myers_____Pittsburgh, PA on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 02:38 pm:

I saw these at the Richmond homecoming and would like to find a set for my 26 roadster. Photo was of a very sharp 26 or 27 touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 02:44 pm:

Yes there was. Although I have no pictures or information about these extremely rare cowl lamps and equally rare mounting brackets. Ben Hardeman, previously of Texas T Parts fame, has the only pair I've ever seen on his 'New and Improved' touring. He's had this touring at Chickasha several times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Lingg - Tarboro, NC on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 02:46 pm:

They would have been used on a non-starter car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 03:10 pm:

Agree with Nicholas and Tom.

Evidence of the lack of a Ford part number for an electric side lamp is fair enough proof.

The only side lamps for Improved Car were oil lamps, and the special bracket to mount to the Improved car stanchions are rather rare to find, since so few non-starter Improved Cars were likely built. If they were, later years owners would have removed those lamps and the brackets.

Ford for the Model A did add electric 'cowl lamps' on the A, but only on the deluxe models! The plain Model A didn't have side lamps.

IF Ford was to have supplied side lamps, electric, on the last of the 1927 Model T's, those would have been nickel rimmed at least, to match the nickel trim on the Improved Car.

This ad shoes an electric side lamp, made to fit side brackets as it has a rear mounted bolt and nut. So was easy to replace the oil lamps and put on electric. Note the features, round door, black finish, and bottom mount plug. VERY same as the photo by Mark. IMO the owner of this Improved Car added these black electric side lamps on the rather rare Improved Car lamp brackets.

Surplus Auto Supply, 1923 catalog.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 03:29 pm:

I have a friend that has the cowl lights for his 26 touring. They are electric, bezel is nickel plated and the light buckets have Ford etched into the housing in the Normal ford font.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 03:52 pm:

Just got off the phone with my friend and he said he bought them at the old Pate swap meet 30 years ago from a gentlemen that specialized in Ford made Ford Script accessories. He thought his name was Dick Hautzinger.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 04:27 pm:

John

Interesting indeed, but still a skeptic.

Need some Ford part numbers on those Ford made and sold accessories!

Just too many aftermarket electric side lamps made for the Ford, and existing photos show accessory lamps on the '26-'27. By that time, no one wanted oil lamps, and classy electric side lamps gave the Ford some pizazz!

Electric cowl lamps, and rumble seat too!

Cowl lamps and fender lamps, real custom Ford!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Kramer,Woodstock,Ontario,Canada on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 04:55 pm:

Perhaps Garry Potter from Ontario, Canada,can shed some light (pun intended) on the electric parking lights on the 1927 T sport touring.I think he has them on his T ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 04:55 pm:

The above cowl lights are not correct for a 1926 or 1927 Ford, but I have seen them on a Maxwell and a few other early cars.

Original 1926-27 mounting brackets are more difficult to find then the lights.

They have a T45159 Passenger side or T45160 Driver's side number cast in them.

I have 2 original T45160 brackets and no T45159 bracket to go with them.

Repro units are available in brass though.

There are 3 different style sets of electric cowl lights that I have seen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 04:59 pm:

I was told a few years ago that those lights were more common in Canada, as they were required by law there.

The small back fender parking light shown above was required by law in Washington DC years ago. It may have also been required in other areas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 05:12 pm:

Dan I understand, I've got no dog in this fight but when I saw these that my friend had I really looked them over because they were mint condition and I'd never seen them before. The Ford script was there and the small lights where beautiful. You know the person who had them. Take care, John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garry Potter on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 06:58 pm:

Brent
These cowl lights were only available in Canada on 1927 sport touring at about the time of year when Model A's were about to arrive
Very difficult to find the lights
Also car came with dual tail lights
I have them on my 1927 sport touring
I can send you pictures if you desire
Garry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By BRENT MIZE on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 08:36 pm:

Thank you all for your input. I believe I have what I need to make an informed decision.
Brent

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 09:13 pm:

This older post has what is called Canadian electric side lamp for the closed or open car, apparently pic is from Canadian Accessory price list.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/19254.html

USA made '27 Sport Touring wouldn't have these.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Kramer,Woodstock,Ontario,Canada on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 09:31 am:

Garry,
If you could post pictures of the cowl & tail lights,it would be appreciated,by all.
Thanks,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 09:47 am:

Something else to consider. If cowl lights were available on the Model T, how were they powered? Is there a switch for them in any parts book?

The first Model A came out with a three position switch with on, off and dim selections like the Model T. When later premium models such as the Fordor and Cabriolet came into the market with cowl lamps, they sported a new switch that had three positions for cowl,off,dim,and on. This switch continued through the end of production and a second bulb was added inside the headlight reflector giving you three filaments if the car didn't have cowl lamps.

If cowl lights were offered on the T, I would think that the archives and parts books would support this with a wiring harness drawing and a control switch.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration