I'm quitting the club!!!!!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: I'm quitting the club!!!!!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Van Evera in the U.P. of MI. on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 06:05 pm:

That is....... The "two piece" club!!!!!
This shows the pan dimples and the 4 dip inspection cover spacer necessary for the Skat "stroker" crankshaft. The work was done by Tom Graham in East Jordan, MI. The oiler is the high volume one off the hogs head. Tom put a drain plug in one of the dippers because of the larger volume of oil which gets "trapped" behind the spacer. Helpful when changing oil. The last two photos are two (of the four) reasons I'm "quitting" the club. In all, four broken cranks over 24 years or so. I'm done with that "club" for GOOD!!!!!!! (Well, it's a Model T after all, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed......)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 06:48 pm:

With that record you should be made President of the club......now retired!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 07:02 pm:

When I had my motor rebuilt, I choked up the extra cash and stepped up to a SCAT counter-balanced crank for my Model T. No regrets, no worries. Joe, you're gonna love it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 07:28 pm:

I second Michael's motion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McQuiston on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 08:33 pm:

Joe,

You mentioned Tom Graham in East Jordan. I have my T's stored in East Jordan and need a power train rebuild done on my 24 TT. Does Tom do good work and do you recommend him? If so, do you have contact information for Tom?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 09:18 pm:

I must be doing something wrong. I've been at it for 18 years and I haven't broken a crankshaft yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 09:26 pm:

you might be next, Eric. They tend to go when you least expect it. My grandparents told me about a broken crankshaft in a Model T. This is a problem which has been around since the T.

Several things can contribute to it, however. A crooked crankcase, lugging the engine are two of the most common. There can be cracks for a long time and then when the load is heaviest, it snaps!

I have a SCAT crankshaft in one of my T's. So far no problems with it, but it is standard T lift and grind, not a stroker.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Van Evera in the U.P. of MI. on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 09:52 pm:

John: Tom has a great reputation for his engine work. He's quite a machinist and has many irons in the fire. He also runs all his motors on his dynamometer. I have heard nothing but praise for him. You can contact him at 231-350-0782

BTW, with a scat "stroker" crank and a Z head my motor did 32.37 HP at 2500rpm on its final run. Impressive, but kind of wasted on me, because I'm all into going slow and smelling the money... of which I don't have anymore of.............

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Van Evera in the U.P. of MI. on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 09:59 pm:

Norm: I agree with you. On two of my "breaks" though, I was just putting along at about 30mph on the straight and level. It is very easy for all of us to swear that we "never" lug our cars, but the reality is, that we do it much more often than we think we do. It's especially hard not to do in hilly terrain with lots of stops and slowdowns, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 10:05 pm:

You can't quit a club that has no officers, bylaws, meetings or roster. Once you pay your dues in broken cranks, you're in. Looks like you are well situated to avoid further installments. I have paid the dues twice myself, before I had magnaflux and a pan jig. Also well before Scat cranks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 10:06 pm:

With no gear between low and high, lugging is SOP.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Clayton Hagerty on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 10:16 pm:

Steve: Just in case I'm not the only confused one,
Please tell us what SOP is??? Thanks, David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fuller on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 10:19 pm:

Standard Operating Procedure

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Clayton Hagerty on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 10:44 pm:

Thanks Ed, Always have been a firm believer in the Standard Operating Procedure. Just never saw that one before!
David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 10:47 pm:

SOP is a commonly used military term for those not familiar with the acronym.

Ed,
Don't tell them what SNAFU stands for......

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 11:02 pm:

Why are there no officers? I have never before joined a club as large as this one is. And this club is over 100 years old.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, June 06, 2016 - 11:33 pm:

Crankshafts usually break because of something done years earlier. Or a bent pan now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 07:16 am:

I will forever be convinced, that your chances of a broken crank are SIGNIFICANTLY reduced, if you drive your Model T like Henry intended.... Lumbering along at 25 to 27 MPH.

You may now hurl your insults for my reckless opinions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 07:58 am:

I broke two cranks and finally realized it was the %^&(#@ fourth main that had a bearing in it. Threw it away and went back to babbit and no problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 08:38 am:

Rob; FUBAR is another one that comes to mind that shouldn't be explained... but I actually heard a reporter on television use the term SNAFU so these acronym's have found their way into our vernacular even if their meanings haven't :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 09:58 am:

Joe, you are officially 'Drummed out" of the two piece club. Hope to see you in Ecanaba this August. Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Schultz_Sheboygan,WI on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 10:18 am:

SNAFU = Situation Normal all Fouled Up

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Esser on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 10:54 am:

SNAFU was name of my first dog as a child- wonderful companion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 10:58 am:

That's the PC version, Dan :-)
FUBAR = F***ed Up Beyond Any Recognition

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 02:04 pm:

Here's my current project:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 05:53 pm:

Joe
I think you are REALLY tempting the fates by your claim!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 06:08 pm:

Les - I'll tell you who is "REALLY" tempting fate as you say, and that is Eric Hylen in Minnesota, when he states that in 18 years, he has "never broken a crank"! In fact, with 4 Model T's, I think I'm "tempting fate" by even talking about it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 07:49 pm:

Harold. I totally agree

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 08:38 am:

Royce did the rod cap hit the internal oil line? I have heard of that but never seen it before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 10:03 am:

Harold, Eric in Minnesota said he went 18 years with out breaking a crank. I went 19 years before I finally broke mine. I see a pattern here. Us in Minnesota freeze our cranks to -30 below 0 for several months a year, that must harden the steel?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 10:10 am:

GR yes I had to manipulate it a bit for clearance. Using an outside line too of course.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 10:23 am:

Royce - so it's a stroker like Joe's with Model A rods? (referring to the built in dippers)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 12:24 pm:

Just my opinion but isn't joining the two piece club never a voluntary membership but rather one tends to get involuntary drafted into its membership instead!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 12:53 pm:

Roger that is correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 01:08 pm:

Mine has a Bill Dubats cranks after I got volunteered into the club. Never worry about it now with a bit of lugging.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 08:48 am:

I deferred joining the club for 49 years, so, Eric, you have plenty of time!!!!

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 09:26 am:

WANTED: Your good Ford Cranks that you removed from your engines and are going to throw away for fear of them breaking. Just box them up and send them to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 10:44 am:

James, I have 2 good halves. Do you want them both?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 11:10 am:

SNAFU = FUBAR = FUBB.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 11:19 am:

I have scrapped about a hundred or so cranks that would have inducted that many guys into the club. When I think about it now, they would have made a neat picket fence around my garden.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 01:03 pm:

Dean.. Thanks for the offer, but I'll pass on that. If you can find a way to glue it back together, I'll consider it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 03:55 pm:

I went through five bad Ford EE cranks before finding an EE that was not cracked that cleaned up at less than .030" under. Very hard to find a usable EE crank. Most have been turned down too small or are cracked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Eyre on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 07:32 pm:

I broke one on the MTFCI tour in the 90s it's was a late EE crank ground 10 on the rods and 20 on the mains. I figure for the 20 or so years I have driven Model Ts I have been lucky to only break one. Unfortunately, I can't afford the extra 1000 plus bucks for a new one. So I have collected all the late cranks I can find. I think between my dad and I we have tried to corner the market on them I think we have over 50 of then laying around.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration